- Fundamentals of Project Management
- Negotiation Skills for Project and Contract Managers ( 3 day course )
This 3 day course provides participants the opportunity to experience one-on-one negotiations. You will learn how to analyze your own & the other party's negotiation style, diffuse conflict and turn it into an advantage, and negotiate more effectively.
- Course Outline
Negotiation is an invaluable skill for any project manager. Not only do you negotiate agreements with vendors and contractors, but you must effectively negotiate with stakeholders, customers and team members throughout the life of a project. This three-day, highly interactive experience covers the dynamics, processes and techniques of internal and external negotiation situations faced by project managers.
Short on lecture and long on practice, this course provides participants the opportunity to experience one-on-one negotiations. You will learn how to analyze your own and the other party's negotiation style, diffuse conflict and turn it into an advantage, and negotiate more effectively. You will also learn how to negotiate for efficient cost and schedule performance and achieve successful results on time. Participants will receive coaching and feedback from the instructor and the other participants.
By the end of the course, you will have explored the dynamics of both the competitive and collaborative models of negotiation as well as some of the implications of team negotiations. Not only will you gain new skills, but you will gain experience using them in realistic situations. To ensure you maintain and build these new skills, the course includes a Personal Action Plan, which is designed to assist participants in capturing their unique key points of learning during the class. It will also help ensure the integration of new knowledge and skills in both your personal and professional life.Description
- Negotiation in the Project Environment
- Stakeholder analysis
- Negotiating with key stakeholders
- Negotiation and the triple constraint
- Issues throughout the project life cycle
- Natural Tendencies in Negotiation
- Negotiating from positions
- Transformation of goals
- Destroying trust
- Need to win
- Emotional reaction
- Developing the Best Alternative to Negotiated Agreement (BATNA)
- Defining BATNA
- Determining the need to negotiate
- Strengthening the BATNA
- Using BATNA
- The other party's BATNA
- The Two Major Schools of Negotiation: Competitive and Collaborative
- Competitive Negotiation
- Determining primary and secondary issues
- Establishing maximum and minimum positions
- Defining the conflict range
- Assessing the negotiation range
- Understanding and Developing Your Negotiation Style
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI) and communication style
- Personality preferences and style
- Temperament Theory and collaboration
- Collaborative Negotiation: Creating Win–Win by Exploring Differences
- Clarifying interests
- Developing options
- Establishing criteria
- Negotiating Within the Team
- Identifying interests
- Defining the process
- Determining roles
- Negotiating Between Teams
- Establishing an approach
- Monitoring the dialogue
- Clarifying all interests
- Preparing to Negotiate Your Project
- Analyzing your situation
- Predicting the other party's situation
- Dealing with Conflict in Negotiations
- Insights from MBTI®
- Sequence of strengths as conflict escalates
- Breakthrough Strategies to Get Past “No”
- Managing emotional content
- Reframing vs. reacting
- Building a golden bridge
- Educating vs. escalating
- Maintaining and Building Your New Skills
- Personal Action Plan
- Other useful strategies for long-term gains
- Use competitive and collaborative negotiation strategies with success
- Recover a stalled negotiation using breakthrough techniques
- Adjust your negotiating style to match the preferences of the other party
- Deactivate the impact emotions and focus on finding agreement
- Apply negotiation skills for efficient cost and schedule performance
- Plan strategies to effectively develop and manage collaborative relationships critical to your project
- Negotiation in the Project Environment
- Prerequisites & Certificates
Professional Development Units (PDUs): 22.5 Participants will receive a Certificate of completion
- Cancellation Policy
We require 16 calendar days notice to reschedule or cancel any registration. Failure to provide the required notification will result in 100% charge of the course. If a student does not attend a scheduled course without prior notification it will result in full forfeiture of the funds and no reschedule will be allowed. Within the required notification period, only student substitutions will be permitted.
Reschedules are permitted at anytime with 16 or more calendar days notice. Enrollments must be rescheduled within six months of the cancel date or funds on account will be forfeited.
- Map & Reviews
[ View Provider's Profile ]
ReviewsHere are some reviews of the training vendor.
This course has not yet been rated by one of our members.
If you have taken a course through this vendor please log into your account and leave feedback for this vendor. You will be helping ensure our members get directed to the best training facilities.
This course currently does not have any dates scheduled. Please call 1-877-313-8881 to enquire about future dates or scheduling a private, in house course for your team.
This page has been viewed 496 times.