This Course prepares you to implement and manage DFSMShsm (DFSMS hierarchical storage manager). You will learn how to automate the storage management tasks, which optimize DASD space utilization and provide data availability.
- Course Start Date: Sep. 24
- Location: Virtual
- Time: 11:00 am - 6:00 pm (Note on end times)
- Duration: 5 days 11:00 AM - 6:00 PM
on the number or students and pace of the class.
It is important to allow for the class to run a little bit longer,
or finish a little sooner, than expected.
- Delivery Method(s):Virtual Instructor Led
- Discount Seats Available:2
that provides you with the quality training that
you have come to expect, and combines it with
flexible learning and a self paced environment.
For more information click here.
- Course Outline
This course prepares you to implement and manage DFSMShsm (DFSMS hierarchical storage manager). You will learn how to automate the storage management tasks, which optimize DASD space utilization and provide data availability. You will be taught basic DFSMShsm terminology and concepts, and you will examine the functions and interfaces used to tailor DFSMShsm processing to meet your installation's storage management requirements.
Hands-on lab exercises enable you to perform a step-by-step implementation.Course Objectives
- Understand the relationship between DFSMShsm and DFSMS and get an overview of the functions of DFSMShsm and its operating environment.
- Understand the DFSMShsm activities for Primary and Secondary Space Management and setup the required configuration for automatic space management.
- Authorize special users for DFSMShsm commands and perform space management functions using authorized DFSMShsm commands.
- Understand the DFSMShsm activities for Availability Management and setup the required configuration for automatic availability management.
- Implement the Automatic Backup and Recovery Support (ABARS), and perform data set and volume management using authorized DFSMShsm commands.
- Understand DFSMShsm processing in large systems.
- Understand recovery using ABARS, recovery from data set or volume loss, recovery of control data sets and journals.
- Use the AUDIT command to detect and fix discrepancies and the LIST, QUERY and FIXCDS commands to correct error situations.
- Manage and monitor DFSMShsm using log data sets and statistical information as well as manage DFSMShsm tapes.
This is an intermediate course for storage administrators who are new to using DFSMShsm.Course Outline
- Welcome and introduction
- Unit 1: Overview DFSMShsm functions and environment Exercise 1: ISMF introduction
- Exercise 1: Review
- Unit 2: Space management
- Exercise 2: Preparing DFSMShsm for space management Unit 3: Command space management
- Exercise 3: Command space management
- Exercise 3: Review
- Unit 4: Availability management
- Exercise 4: Preparing DFSMShsm for availability management Unit 5: Command availability management
- Exercise 5: Command availability management
- Exercise 5: Review
- Unit 6: DFSMShsm in large systems Unit 7: Recovery
- Exercise 6: Recovery
- Unit 8: DFSMShsm forward recovery Exercise 7: Forward recovery
- Exercise 7: Review
- Unit 9: Managing and monitoring DFSMShsm
- Prerequisites & Certificates
You should be familiar with the basic concepts of data storage systems and with storage management activities. This knowledge can be acquired by taking the following two courses:
- An Introduction to Data Storage Subsystems (Classroom) (SS050)
- Storage Management Fundamentals (Classroom) (SS060)
- Storage Management Fundamentals (Instructor-led Online) (SK060)
Equivalent experience may be substituted for these courses.
Certificate of Participation
- Cancellation Policy
You will be charged the full price of a public class if you do not cancel or reschedule your enrollment at least 11 business days prior to the scheduled start date or if you do not show up for the class. However, you may cancel your class enrollment at any time within the three calendar days following your initial registration or any LearnQuest rescheduled enrollment date without charge. Cancellations must be notified in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Substitution of class participants may be made free of charge at any time prior to class commencement by notifying your Account Manager or email@example.com.
LearnQuest reserves the right to change dates, courses and fees without notice. LearnQuest assumes no responsibility for non-refundable airline tickets or other expenses incurred due to course cancellations.
All refunds will be issued within ten business days from cancellation notice.
- Map & Reviews
[ View Provider's Profile ]
Your City, Your Province
Your Country Your Postal Code
This course has not yet been rated by one of our members.
If you have taken a course through this vendor please log into your account and leave feedback for this vendor. You will be helping ensure our members get directed to the best training facilities.
Registration for this course has been closed.
This course may be available on a different date listed below.
This course is also scheduled on the following dates:
Not interested in this Course?
Tell us why:
This page has been viewed 17 times.