This workshop, based on the premise that work must be letter-perfect when it leaves the desk, is designed for those whose job requires them to proofread their own and others' written work.
- Course Start Date: Apr. 25
- Location: Vancouver
- Time: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm (Note on end times)
- Duration: 2 Days
on the number or students and pace of the class.
It is important to allow for the class to run a little bit longer,
or finish a little sooner, than expected.
- Delivery Method(s):Instructor Led
- Discount Seats Available:2
- Category:Business Writing Skills Training
that provides you with the quality training that
you have come to expect, and combines it with
flexible learning and a self paced environment.
For more information click here.
- Course Outline
This workshop, based on the premise that work must be letter-perfect when it leaves the desk, is designed for those whose job requires them to proofread their own and others' written work. Since the workshop provides basic skills, those new to the field will gain a working ability to proofread and edit. Experienced participants will gain a refresher, the introduction to new techniques and the opportunity to practise. All will benefit from feedback on their progress.
After this workshop, participants will be able to :
- Explain the necessity of proofreading perfectly and assess the consequence of error
- Recognize the difference between proofreading and editing.
- Improve their "proofing eye" through practice.
- Practise the six key proofreading categories, including spelling
- Proofread copy using basic proofreading marks
- Edit various texts, including emails, using five editing concepts
- Improve written clarity using Plain English techniques
- Use common proofreading and editing reference texts
Part I. Introduction : Roles, goals and participant expectations
- Reasons for proofreading, and the consequences of error
- How the role of the proofreader differs from that of the editor
- Training the proofreader's eye
- Why we need more than Spell check
- Choosing and using standard reference texts
- Techniques for proofreading more thoroughly and quickly
- Necessary supplies the proofreader needs
- Some basic proofreading tips
- Spelling: common errors, including English-French look-alikes
- Punctuation and mechanics
- Formatting, layout and style
- Typeface and fonts
- Marks in the text and marks in the margin
- Proofreading lists of numbers
- Practising proofreading using the marks
- The difference between reviewing and editing
- The modern paragraph
- Some principles of good style
- Editing and proofreading checklists
- Simplifying "gobbledygook"
- Choosing clear and simple wordings
- Gender-free writing
- The editor writes
- Does the document require a communication plan?
- Practice editing simple texts
- Working with a commercial printing company
- Prerequisites & Certificates
Certificate of Completion * Learning methods comprise (including, if desired, documents brought in by the participants.), lecturettes, discussions and a video.
- Cancellation Policy
Should you postpone or cancel your course you must give 5 business days notice.
- Map & Reviews
On Track Computer Training
[ View Provider's Profile ]
On Track New Location
609 Granville Street
Canada V7Y 1G6
ReviewsHere are some reviews of the training vendor.
This course has not yet been rated by one of our members.
If you have taken a course through this vendor please log into your account and leave feedback for this vendor. You will be helping ensure our members get directed to the best training facilities.
Registration is fast, and will take approximately 3 minutes. There is no membership fee.
» You are also welcome to Make an Offer
In either case, our Make an Offer feature gives you the opportunity to name
your own price. Try it out, you might get lucky, just keep in mind it can
take up to 1 full business day to get a response!
This course currently does not have any dates other than this one scheduled. Please call 1-877-313-8881 to enquire about future dates.
Not interested in this Course?
Tell us why:
This page has been viewed 41 times.