After this workshop participants will be able to prepare to take meeting minutes, explain the roles of the people in a meeting, distinguish between different types and purposes of business meetings, and more.
- Course Start Date: Nov. 8
- Location: Vancouver
- Time: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm (Note on end times)
- Duration: 1 Day
on the number or students and pace of the class.
It is important to allow for the class to run a little bit longer,
or finish a little sooner, than expected.
- Delivery Method(s):Instructor Led
- Seats Available: YES
- Category:Effective Meeting Management Training
that provides you with the quality training that
you have come to expect, and combines it with
flexible learning and a self paced environment.
For more information click here.
- Course Outline
Whether you are asked for the first time to take minutes at an approaching meeting or whether you are a seasoned minute-taker with experience in formal and informal meetings, there are relevant skills and knowledge bases that can be learned and improved upon.
After this workshop participants will be able to:
- Prepare to take meeting minutes
- Explain the roles of the people in a meeting
- Distinguish between different types and purposes of business meetings
- Use one of the three categories of meeting minutes
- Take effective agenda-based notes
- Draft, proof, correct and distribute accurate, timely, complete minutes
- Handle common minute-taking problems
This workshop covers the following topics:
General Information about Meetings and Taking Minutes
- Definition of terms: "minutes", "motion:, "quorum", "point of order"
- Reasons for taking minutes
- Cost analysis of a meeting
- Advantages to the minute-taker
- When is appropriate to take verbatim minutes?
- Role and responsibilities of the chairperson or moderator
- Role and responsibilities of the minute-taker
- Role and responsibilities of the participants
- How is it prepared and by whom?
- Components of a working agenda
- Sample template of a meeting agenda
- Know which of the three types of minutes you will be taking
- Formal minutes (parliamentary procedure: Robert's Rules of Order)
- Informal minutes
- Action minutes
- Your secret weapon: knowing the topics, terms and
- Setting up your note page using the prepared meeting agenda
- Pens and highlighters
- Advantages and disadvantages of taping, laptops and computer notes
- Virtual meetings, teleconferences and videoconferences
- Schedule a block of time immediately after the meeting to draft minutes
- When to arrive at the meting and why
- Checklist of items to assemble and take with you
- Prepare your own work to ensure focus on the meeting
- Agree on a "meeting contract" regarding your role and rights
- Coordinate each topic heading in your minutes with the agenda items
- Listening techniques: what to listen for
- How to record a decision
- What to do if you need clarification or miss an important point
- Importance of drafting minutes right after the meeting
- Attaching documents, reports and other relevant data
- Conform to your organization's style norms: font, bolding, underlining
- Proofread draft minutes for spelling, grammar, punctuation, mechanics
- Sample template of draft minutes
- What to include; what to omit
- Follow your notes and coordinate topic headings with agenda items
- Who signs off on the minutes and when?
- Methods of distribution
- Filing the minutes
- How to handle corrections
- Lack of an agenda
- Incompetent chairing: skipping items, moving on before a decision is taken
- Rambling, repetitive discussion
- Late arrivals
- Introduction of items not on the agenda
- "Parked" items
- Other issues
Course Closure and Evaluation
- Prerequisites & Certificates
Certificate of Completion
- Cancellation Policy
Should you postpone or cancel your course you must give 5 business days notice.
- Map & Reviews
On Track Computer Training
[ View Provider's Profile ]
On Track New Location
609 Granville Street
Canada V7Y 1G6
Registration is fast, and will take approximately 3 minutes. There is no membership fee.
» You are also welcome to Make an Offer
In either case, our Make an Offer feature gives you the opportunity to name
your own price. Try it out, you might get lucky, just keep in mind it can
take up to 1 full business day to get a response!
This course is also scheduled on the following dates:
Not interested in this Course?
Tell us why:
This page has been viewed 19 times.