This 5-day instructor-led course explores how to use SharePoint as your platform for Business Intelligence.
- Course Outline
About this Course
This 5-day instructor-led course explores how to use SharePoint as your platform for Business Intelligence. Journey through the SharePoint Business Intelligence Center, Excel Services, Reporting Services, Analysis Service, Performance Point and PowerPivot to implement your BI Strategies and enable your decision makers to see data in new and dynamic ways! This course will take you down a path of building a BI environment from scratch to full interactive dashboards using the Microsoft BI Stack.
Sr Business Intelligence Architects and Consultants, Sr Business Analysts, anyone responsible for implementing BI with SharePoint.
At Course Completion
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Explore the new Business Intelligence Center, Analysis Services, Excel Services, Business Connectivity Services, Visio Services, Access Services, Power
Module 1: Overview
A simple introduction module.
After completing this module, students will be able to:
- Understand your course, classroom, classmates, facility and instructor.
In this module we review what Business Intelligence (BI) is and what the typical BI goals are. We also explore how Microsoft BI tools are enabling more advanced Business Intelligence features to filter down/up to the decision makers and Information Workers in general.
- Business Intelligence
- Answer Business Intelligence Questions
- Define Business Intelligence
- Understand what P=R-C means to BI
- Accept that empowering end users is a GOOD thing
- Understand your BI will only be as good as your data, tools and processes
In this module we are going to explore the Business Intelligence Center site definition that comes with SharePoint 2010.
- Business Intelligence Center
- Lab : Business Intelligence Center
- Explore SharePoint Business Intelligence Center
- Explore Dashboard Designer
- Navigate the Business Intelligence Center Site Definition
- Understand what a SharePoint Dashboard is
- Understand what a KPI is and what data they can analyze
- Understand what integration points are compatible with the Business Intelligence Center
In this module we explore what data is and some of the many forms that it takes. We then explore and define the terms Data Warehouse and Data Mart. This module is important in that as we move through the remainder of the course, we will need to have data to manipulate and work with to build our BI components.
- Understanding Data and Data Formats
- Building Data Marts and Data Warehouses
- Explore Data Formats
- Create a Simple Data Warehouse
- Explore the Extract stage
- Explore Transform and Load stages
- Realize the importance of primary/unique keys
- Create Data Warehouse Granularity Levels
- Create a Data Mart
- Populate a SharePoint List with SQL Server data
- Differentiate between multiple data formats
- Understand differences between data warehouse and data marts
- Be able to describe what happens in an Extract, Transform and Load (ETL) process
In this module we are going to take a look at the new Business Connectivity Services.
- Business Connectivity Services
- Explore External Content Types
- Create a new External Content Type
- Create an External List
- Create an Large External List using ECTs
- Using Filters and External lists
- Creating and Configuring Entity Profile Pages
- Explore Office and BCS Integration
- Understand how BCS works
- How to build new BCS applications
- How to Upgrade your older BDC applications
In this module we will explore the feature of SQL Server called Analysis Services (SSAS). When regular SQL queries can't handle your data, MDX queries in SSAS can!
- Analysis Services
- Create Dimension and Fact tables with SSIS
- Create a Analysis Services Database
- Create a Cube
- Create Dimensions
- Create Fact Tables
- Create a KPI
- Describe OLAP terms
- Understand how to navigate Analysis Services
- How to build a simple cube
- How to write simple MDX queries
- How to use data mining models
In this module we will explore Filter Web Parts and the important role they play in building Business Intelligence portals.
- Filter Web Parts
- Use each of the Filter Web Parts
- Integrate User Profiles with Filters and Reports
- Describe what Filter Web Parts are
- Work with Filter Web Parts
- Understand how to integrate Filter Web Parts into other BI technologies
In this module we will explore and work with the various features of SharePoint's Excel Services.
- Excel Services
- Create An Excel Report
- Learn to use Excel Services
- Create/Publish to Excel Services
- Configure Excel Services
- Shared Data Connections
- Explore Excel 2010 MDX features
- Create a Slicer
- Create an MDX Set
- Use Excel 2010 Sparklines
- Explore Filter Web Parts and Excel Services
- Explore REST features of Excel ServicesExplore the Excel Services Web Service
- Setup and configure Excel Services
- Use the Excel Services Web Parts
- Use Excel to modify MDX queries
- Use Excel to create Sparklines
- Use Excel Services REST-ful APIs
In this module we explore the new PowerPivot tools of SQL Server 2008 R2 and Excel 2010.
- PowerPivot For SharePoint
- PowerPivot For Excel
- Install PowerPivot for Excel
- Install PowerPivot for SharePoint 2010
- Configure PowerPivot for SharePoint
- Explore PowerPivot Functions
- Use Basic PowerPivot
- Use PowerPivot with Large DataSets
- Create PowerPivot Linked Tables
- Publish to SharePoint
- Automating Data Refresh
- Analyzing Usage Data
- Create PowerPivot enabled spreadsheets
- Utilize common PowerPivot functions and tools
In this module we will explore Reporting Services, its integration with SharePoint and how to build Reporting Services reports.
- Reporting Services
- Configure Reporting Services
- Create a Reporting Services Report
- Configure Reporting Services Web Part
- Create Advanced Reporting Services report
- Filter Web Parts and Reports
- Create Report Part Gallery
- Create a Report Library
- Create Report Parts
- Create a Report using Report Parts
- Automated Report Delivery
- Setup Reporting Services RSS Feed
- Create and Use Data Feed Library
- Utilize Reporting Services data in PowerPivot
- Utilize PowerPivot data in Reporting Services
- Understand and describe the integration between reporting services and SharePoint
- Build Reporting Services reports
- Use the Reporting Services web part
- Create Report and Report Part Libraries
- Integrate Reporting Services and PowerPivot
In this module we will explore Performance Point and how it supercharges your BI Dashboards and Key Performance Indicators.
- Performance Point
- Explore Performance Service Application
- Explore the Dashboard Designer
- Create A Scorecard
- Create A PP KPI
- Explore Time Intelligence
- Create Performance Point Reports
- Create Filters
- Create A Dashboard
- Describe features of Performance Point
- Create Performance Point Scorecards and KPIs
- Use Time Intelligence features in your BI solutions
In this module we will explore Visio and Access Services and how to integrate it into your Report process.
- Visio Services
- Access Services
- Use Visio Services
- Publish a Visio to SharePoint
- Tie report process to Visio
- Explore Access Services
- Publish Access Database To SharePoint
- Create and deploy interactive Visio diagrams to SharePoint
- Create and deploy Access databases to SharePoint
In this module we will explore GeoSpatial data and how to use the new .NET Charts and Mapping features of SharePoint 2010.
- Charts and Maps
- GeoSpatial Data
- Populate a SQL Server Database using Shape2SQL
- Utilize the new Spatial Data Types in SQL Server
- Create a Reporting Services Report using Geospatial Data
- Publish Geospatial Data to SharePoint 2010
- Utilize Bing Maps API
- Create a Simple Map With Content Editor Web Part
- Create an Advanced Map with Data Views
- Explore Filters, Data Views and Bing Maps integration
- Integrate Geospatial Customer data into SharePoint Sites
- Utilize NET Charts
- Understand how .NET Charts are used in SharePoint 2010
- How to build geospatial maps using BI data
- Prerequisites & Certificates
Before attending this course, students must have: - Understanding of SharePoint 2010 User Interface, database reporting concepts and familiarity with Data Marts and Data Warehouses.
Certificate of Completion
- Cancellation Policy
Student cancellations and/or rescheduling of public courses made within TEN (10) business days or less of the course start date will be charged at 100% of the full value.
- Map & Reviews
[ View Provider's Profile ]
ReviewsHere are some reviews of the training vendor.
This course has not yet been rated by one of our members.
If you have taken a course through this vendor please log into your account and leave feedback for this vendor. You will be helping ensure our members get directed to the best training facilities.
This course currently does not have any dates scheduled. Please call 1-877-313-8881 to enquire about future dates or scheduling a private, in house course for your team.
This page has been viewed 256 times.