This course prepares participants to create realistic schedules, resource load those schedules, and update and track project progress. This is a hands-on course, you'll use a “live” project to create a schedule, update it, manage it & report....
- Course Outline
Learn how to create and use one of the most valuable project management tools: a project schedule. Defining project success often involves completing on time and on budget, and project budgets are often driven by resource costs and the scheduling of those resources. This intensive 5-day course prepares participants to create realistic schedules, resource load those schedules, and update and track project progress. With this valuable skill, project managers and planners will have improved control of their projects as they will be able to identify and build in risk responses, understand the full impact of scope changes on their projects, and identify trends early in the project life cycle.
Our instructors are seasoned project scheduling professionals, who have experience in a wide variety of industries and with a number of scheduling software packages. Examples used include construction, IT, and telecommunications. In addition to scheduling theory, practitioners’ tips and tricks will be demonstrated.
This is a hands-on course, in which participants will use a “live” project to create a schedule, update it, manage it and report on its performance. Participants will bring their own laptops already loaded with their own scheduling software to create and update a schedule. Some of the subsequent exercises use files supplied by the instructor.
This professional level course is appropriate for those seeking to obtain their professional credential in planning and scheduling, such as PMI-SP® (PMI’s Scheduling Professional) or AACE PSP (AACE International’s Planning & Scheduling Professional) credentials.
Learning Objectives Participants will gain practical knowledge and skills to:
* Create effective project schedules.
* Implement project schedule and corresponding cost controls.
* Evaluate project metrics and prepare project performance reports.
* Use earned value management.
* Apply best practices in scheduling projects.
* Prepare to sit for the scheduling examination from PMI or AACE.
Who Should Attend Project Scheduling & Controls is appropriate for individuals who:
* Want to pursue a career in project planning and project controls.
* Want to enhance their resume and marketability in project management.
* Work in a project management environment, in any industry or discipline, and want to increase their scheduling knowledge.
* Want to prepare for the PMP-Scheduling Professional®,or the AACE Planning & Scheduling Professional credentials.
Materials You will receive a course binder containing a copy of the presentation slides. You will need your laptop with a scheduling software package already installed (Primavera, Microsoft Project, SureTrak, or similar).
What you will Learn DAY 1: Context of Project Planning & Scheduling * Role of the project scheduler
* Scheduling credential requirements
* Principles of schedule development & control
* Workshop: Developing case study WBS
* Logic diagrams & dependencies
* Critical path, float, constraints, milestones, baselines
* Crashing, fast-tracking
DAY 2: Creating a Project Schedule * Workshop: Create case study schedule
* Duration & effort
* Analyzing the bar (Gantt) chart
* Adding constraints
* Project health check
* Workshop: Communicating case study schedule
* Fast-tracking the schedule
* Basic fixed duration tracking
DAY 3: Resource Management * Assigning resources
* Crashing the schedule
* Identifying resource conflict
* Workshop: Resource levelling 101
* Manpower loading curves
* The theory
* Information gathering
* Workshop: Applying earned value to the case study
* Performance reporting
* Organizational behaviour
DAY 4: Change Control * Identifying full impact of changes
* Workshop: Taking corrective action
* Performance reporting
* The schedule and cost control
* Scheduling the unknowns
* Workshop: Monte Carlo analysis of case study
* Adding quantitative data to assumptions
* Sensitivity analysis
* Claims management
DAY 5: Advanced Scheduling Techniques * The short-term look-ahead schedule
* Workshops: Schedule analysis
* Alternatives to CPM scheduling
* Critical chain
* Software trends
* Final assignment
- Prerequisites & Certificates
University degree, or a technology or business diploma. Minimum of two years experience in a project environment. An introductory course in project management such as PM Essentials is advisable. It is expected that you have taken an introductory course in scheduling software or have hands-on experience with Microsoft Project, such as Microsoft Project Essentials, or Primavera, or another similar scheduling software tool.
- Cancellation Policy
A 20% cancellation fee applies for cancellations received up to fourteen (14) business days before the course. Any cancellation up to five (5) business days before the course is subject to the entire course fee, which you may apply toward a future course for a one year period (subject to availability). The course fee is non-transferrable and non refundable five (5) business days prior to the scheduled delivery date.
Please note that if you do not cancel and do not attend, you will still be responsible for payment. Substitutions may be made at any time. If Procept finds it necessary to cancel a course due to low enrolment, a full refund will be made. Procept will not be responsible for participant's expenses.
- Map & Reviews
[ View Provider's Profile ]
ReviewsHere are some reviews of the training vendor.
This course has not yet been rated by one of our members.
If you have taken a course through this vendor please log into your account and leave feedback for this vendor. You will be helping ensure our members get directed to the best training facilities.
This course currently does not have any dates scheduled. Please call 1-877-313-8881 to enquire about future dates or scheduling a private, in house course for your team.
This page has been viewed 274 times.