This workshop focuses on the competencies that are essential for writing effectively in todayís business environment. Topics covered: Punctuation, Grammar, Vocabulary development & Sentence structure.
- Course Outline
This workshop focuses on the competencies that are essential for writing effectively in today’s business environment. Through a combination of PowerPoint-supported lectures and hands-on exercises, participants will:
- hone their mastery of the English grammar, punctuation and usage standards that are considered acceptable by Canada’s professional writers and editors
- refresh their vocabulary by reviewing and augmenting their awareness of synonyms, antonyms, homonyms and other elements of the English language (including spelling)
- learn where to update their skills throughout their professional careers by accessing helpful Websites and other reference sources, including the newspapers and magazines relevant to their profession
Description of Topics Covered Punctuation: This segment looks at all aspects of punctuation that today’s business writers are expected to use: periods, commas, colons, semicolons, quotation marks, em and en dashes, brackets, and capitalization. Following discussion of each punctuation mark, participants will complete relevant exercises. For example, exercises on comma use will include practicing various applications and recognizing correct and incorrect comma use.
Grammar: Participants will review the rules that apply to frequently misused used words such as who, whom, myself, bring and take, and usages common in business vocabulary. All grammar discussions include exercises to foster awareness of correct use.
Vocabulary development: Participants will increase their sensitivity to vocabulary by refining their ability to recognize nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, synonyms, antonyms and homonyms. Exercises will feature vocabulary drills and word games.
Sentence structure: Participants will review basic sentence structure, such as subjects, predicates, parallel construction and verb tense. Participants will analyze short paragraphs to determine if they use logical sequencing.
After the workshop, participants will be able to:
- use punctuation to enhance the clarity to their writing
- feel confident that their spoken and written English is grammatically correct
- continue sensitizing themselves to new vocabulary, to ensure that their business vocabulary
- remains current
- structure sentences to meet their writing objectives, and recognize structural errors
- Prerequisites & Certificates
Group size is limited to 15. Participants will receive a Nexient Certificate of Completion.
- Cancellation Policy
We require 16 calendar days notice to reschedule or cancel any registration. Failure to provide the required notification will result in 100% charge of the course. If a student does not attend a scheduled course without prior notification it will result in full forfeiture of the funds and no reschedule will be allowed. Within the required notification period, only student substitutions will be permitted.
Reschedules are permitted at anytime with 16 or more calendar days notice. Enrollments must be rescheduled within six months of the cancel date or funds on account will be forfeited.
- Map & Reviews
[ View Provider's Profile ]
ReviewsHere are some reviews of the training vendor.
This course has not yet been rated by one of our members.
If you have taken a course through this vendor please log into your account and leave feedback for this vendor. You will be helping ensure our members get directed to the best training facilities.
This course currently does not have any dates scheduled. Please call 1-877-313-8881 to enquire about future dates or scheduling a private, in house course for your team.
This page has been viewed 310 times.