This three day course is designed to provide non-engineering petroleum industry professionals with a thorough overview of most key aspects of petroleum engineering technology and its applications.
- Course Outline
This three day course is designed to provide non-engineering petroleum industry professionals with a thorough overview of most key aspects of petroleum engineering technology and its applications. The course addresses engineering issues ranging from initial involvement with explorations to production optimization challenges. The sessions will focus on relevant and practical issues, and will include a combination of classroom exercises and basic engineering problems. Detailed course notes are provided.
Objective To provide a comprehensive understanding of the technology involved with the petroleum industry to all those who are involved with it in capacities other than engineers.
Who Should Attend This course is aimed at non-engineering professionals involved in the oil industry and also junior exploration and petroleum engineers/technologists, and geologists.
Program Outline Faculty: Dr. Tayfun Babadagli, School of Mining and Petroleum,
University of Alberta
Registration and Coffee
Welcome and Introduction
• Geologic cycle
• Types of reservoir rocks
• Main elements of petroleum reservoirs
Rock and Fluid Properties
• Types of rock porosity and measurements
• Definitions of formation permeability
• Hydrocarbon classifications and fluid sampling
• Primary and secondary recoveries
• Types of reservoir drives and impact on performance
In-place Hydrocarbons and Reserves Determination
• Volumetric and material balance methods
• Decline analysis
• Empirical method to estimate recoverable reserves
Reservoir Delineation and Development
• Field development considerations
• Types and applications of artificial lift
• Horizontal well applications
Production Operations and Optimization
• Well performance
• Operational problems
• Well testing
Enhanced Recovery Mechanism
• Types of EOR
• Planning of a waterflood design
• Monitoring of a waterflood project
The Drilling Rig
• Down hole equipment
• Offshore and inland drilling
• Properties of drilling fluids
• Well casing and cementing
Normal and Special Drilling Operations
• Deviated drilling
• Multilaterals and horizontal drilling
• High pressure and high temperature (HPHT) wells
• Underbalanced drilling
• Rig management (staff role, safety, environment, blow-out)
• Automatic drilling rigs and casing drilling
• Slim hole drilling
• Expandable tubular and slim hole drilling
Concluding Remarks and Final Adjournment
There will be a one-hour lunch break each day in addition to a refreshment and networking break during each morning and afternoon session. Lunch and refreshments will be provided.
After Participating in this Course, You will be Able to:
- Understand reservoir engineering
- Be familiar with rock and fluid properties
- Understand in place hydrocarbons and reserves determination methods
- Add to your knowledge of reservoir delineation and development, production operations and optimization as well as enhanced recovery mechanisms
- Gain insight into drilling rigs and the normal and special drilling operations
- Have knowledge of new developments in the field and know about well abandonment procedures
8:00 Registration and coffee (first day only)
8:30 Session begins
- Prerequisites & Certificates
1.8 CEUs / 18 PDHs
- Cancellation Policy
To withdraw from a course, you must send a request, in writing, with the official receipt to our office. Fifteen or more business days in advance: full refund less $50.00 administration charge. Five to fifteen business days in advance: non-refundable credit of equal value for any future EPIC seminar within one year. Credits are transferable within your organization. In case of an unexpected event occurring after this time, you may send someone else to take your place without any additional cost.
- Map & Reviews
EPIC Educational Program Innovations Center
[ View Provider's Profile ]
ReviewsHere are some reviews of the training vendor.
This course has not yet been rated by one of our members.
If you have taken a course through this vendor please log into your account and leave feedback for this vendor. You will be helping ensure our members get directed to the best training facilities.
This course currently does not have any dates scheduled. Please call 1-877-313-8881 to enquire about future dates or scheduling a private, in house course for your team.
This page has been viewed 288 times.