This practical 3-day workshop is designed for those looking for the “How To” for projects. The Workshop will provide you with your own secret library of practical project management tools and techniques that you can use right away...
- Course Outline
After participating in this course, you will be able to:Description
• Maintain project cost control through an understanding of the critical project relationship of scope, schedule, budget, and quality.
• Build a work breakdown structure for project planning purposes.
• Define quickly your project scope for more complete estimates.
• Evaluate what your project risk issues are.
• Develop more accurate and complete project authorization documentation, saving you time and effort.
• Assess when to use a purchase order or a contract for controlling a construction project.
• Use tender and procurement documents to get what the plant requires, reducing problems on site, saving time and money.
• Perform Construction Manager duties and be proactive with safety.
• Administer contracts effectively with an understanding of earned value reports to determine project progress
• Organize your commissioning, startup, and training saving you time and effort.
• Provide project leadership by accessing problems and using your newly acquired knowledge, determine the best course of action for the project.
• Advance your career by having the tools to better manage your projects
• Stand out from your peers by having successful projects.
Statistics show that only 20% of all projects are a success. Those that are successful, have competent team members in each project role who can safely, effectively and efficiently perform their assigned tasks. Competence is often defined as a combination of awareness, skills, knowledge and attitude that enables an individual to perform a job to the standards required for successful job performance.
Being involved in managing projects in operating facilities is one of the most exciting jobs you can have. You are involved in all phases of a project, from design through construction to startup. The fun, excitement, satisfaction and personal fulfillment that comes from a successful project startup is something every project team member should experience.
We want you to get the recognition you deserve and to experience the feelings and personal satisfaction of a successful project. Through our competence-based workshop Fundamentals of Project Management, we will give you the practical tools to allow your projects to save time, money, and produce a quality product, making it a success.
This practical three day workshop Fundamentals of Project Management is designed for those looking for the “How To” for projects. The Workshop will provide you with your own secret library of practical project management tools and techniques that you can use right away as well as valuable training and information on:
The Core Concepts for successful projects - including Planning and Communication
Project Planning and Control – including Risk and Earned Value Analysis
Project Content - including Project Appraisal and Scope Definition
Behavioral Attributes – including Managing Meetings and Buy-in of Stakeholders
General Management – including Procurement and Project Safety
Fundamentals of Project Management is not knowledge (recall of facts) based training, which will not guarantee project success but competence-based training (demonstrated ability to perform) designed to teach project practitioners the characteristics that lead to success on the job. Competence-based training is for those whose personal success depends on project success.Objectives
• To familiarize participants with all the activities needed to completely implement a project and how these activities relate to the projectWho Should Attend
constraints of scope, schedule, budget, and resources.
• To provide participants with the project knowledge they need to lead their project teams and to solve project problems by determining the
correct course of action.
• To provide participants with the practical knowledge and information on what tasks are involved in a project, how to perform these tasks, and
why the tasks have to be done.
This course is designed for and considered a must for plant personnel new to project management and others who are involved in managing the design and construction of projects in operating facilities, i.e. engineers, technologists and technicians, tradesmen, maintenance personnel, and other personnel from industrial users, utilities, municipalities, educational institutions, commercial facilities, consulting engineering firms and manufacturers. Topics covered in this course are also of great value to managers and other non-technical project personnel.
You Will Receive:Program Outline
A copy of the Plant Project Engineering Guidebook
Instructor: Morley Selver
Welcome, Introduction, Seminar Preview, Learning Outcomes and the Assessment Method
8:30 Module 1 – Introduction
9:30 Module 2 -Project Life Cycle, Feasibility Study, Group Dynamics
• Exercise - CS110 - Project Life Cycle (Team building)
• Exercise - CS116 - Working in groups
Refreshments and Networking Break
11:00 Module 3 -Budgets, ROR
• Exercise / Discussion - Risk Issues
1:00 Module 4 -Work Breakdown Structure
• Exercise - WBS Case Study
2:00 Module 5 -Project Authorization Documentation and Scope Issues
• Exercise - Developing scope
3:00 Module 6 - Stakeholders and Risk Analysis
• Exercise - CS111 - Risk Case Study
8:30 Module 7 -Estimating
• Exercise - CS105 - Escalation Case Study
• Discussion - Freight
9:30 Module 8 - Engineering Issues, Project Cost Control, Managing Changes, Reporting
• Exercise CS108 - Scope Creep
• Discussion- Why Do Projects Fail
10:30 Module 9 - Procurement
• Exercise - CS102 - Bundling Contracts
1:00 Module 10 -Contract Types
• Exercise - CS100 - PO vs Contract
2:00 Module 11 -Bidding Procedures, Bid Evaluation, (Works, Goods, Consultants)
• Exercise - CS106 - Handling Bid Questions
3:00 Module 12 - Purchase Orders and Contracts
• Exercise - CS103 - Choice of Contracts
3:45 Module 13 - Construction Management
• Exercise - Prime Contractor – Safety
8:30 Woody’s Case Study - CS115
10:30 Module 14 -Tender Documents
• Exercise - Evaluating Unit Prices
• Premium Portion of Overtime
• Cs 113 - Sludge Pond
1:00 Module 15 -Contract Administration, Managing Contracts
• Exercise - CS104 Dealing With Claims
2:00 Module 16 - Earned Value Analysis
• Exercise – EVA and Forecasting
3:00 Module 17 -Commissioning, Training, Start-up, Completion
4:15 Workshop Summary
Questions and Answers and Feedback to Participants on Achievement of Learning Outcomes
4:30 Concluding Remarks and Final Adjournment
Morley Selver earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering in 1973 and has over 30 years of ‘real world’ project management experience. He has worked in industry, with and for consultants, and his own consulting business. His project experience includes operations and maintenance, research and development, project management of small to medium size projects, construction management of large industrial projects, mechanical installation of heavy industrial equipment, commissioning and startup of industrial plants, and plant management.
He has worked in Canada and the USA in operating pulp and paper mills, oil & gas projects, terminals & pipelines, on North Slope oil projects, board plants, and in the recycling industry. He is currently working as a project manager in oil & gas consulting business. He is the author of “Plant Project Engineering Guidebook”, teaches project management in Canada for private training companies, is an international speaker on project management, and is a ‘First Assessor’ for the Project Management Association of Canada (PMAC-AGPC).
- Prerequisites & Certificates
1.8 CEU / 18 PDH
- Cancellation Policy
To withdraw from a course, you must send a request, in writing, with the official receipt to our office. Fifteen or more business days in advance: full refund less $50.00 administration charge. Five to fifteen business days in advance: non-refundable credit of equal value for any future EPIC seminar within one year. Credits are transferable within your organization. In case of an unexpected event occurring after this time, you may send someone else to take your place without any additional cost.
- Map & Reviews
EPIC Educational Program Innovations Center
[ View Provider's Profile ]
ReviewsHere are some reviews of the training vendor.
This course has not yet been rated by one of our members.
If you have taken a course through this vendor please log into your account and leave feedback for this vendor. You will be helping ensure our members get directed to the best training facilities.
This course currently does not have any dates scheduled. Please call 1-877-313-8881 to enquire about future dates or scheduling a private, in house course for your team.
This page has been viewed 376 times.