This workshop adds to the knowledge and skills of operators and other personnel who are responsible for the distillation process.
- Course Outline
After participating in the workshop, you will be able to:
• Improve product recoveries, purities and energy utilization in your distillation system with the clear understanding from this workshop of the distillation principles
• Develop valuable practical insights for start up and shutdown of distillation operation
• Gain confidence in the operation, control and troubleshooting of a distillation column and its associated equipment
• Contribute to profitability of your company having understood the essential distillation concepts, the fundamental knowledge of distillation column controls and an introduction to dynamic simulation software
Description The profitability and reliability of a company depends on the understanding of the business’ key components by all its employees. Therefore, training and development of employees is an investment in future success. It is by combining the skills of trained and knowledgeable employees with effective processes and state-of-the-art technology that practical solutions are developed, companies maximize profits and build assets in a sustainable manner.
A key component of the processing industries is the energy cost. Distillation, being an inherently energy intensive process and a major contributor to the costs, well-trained technical personnel who understand operating and troubleshooting of a distillation column can achieve effective energy savings that can go a long way to maximize profits. Not only this is true for an existing distillation system but also true for a new distillation system where cost savings can be achieved by improving the efficiency of operations by correct equipment selection, process optimization and control. This workshop adds to the knowledge and skills of operators and other personnel who are responsible for the distillation process.
Objective To provide an understanding of key concepts and develop skills for operating and troubleshooting a distillation system, with an introduction to dynamic simulation software.
Who Should Attend • Plant Operators / Support Engineers
• Engineers /Chemists working with Distillation Operations
• Technical Process engineers doing process design and optimization projects
• R&D engineers and researchers using process simulators for process synthesis, upgrade or modifications.
• Ideal for veterans and those with only a few years of experience who want to review or broaden their understanding of process safety.
• Other professionals who desire a better understanding of the subject
Program Outline Day 1
• The components of a distillation system
• Differences among batch, flash, and multistage distillation process
• Relative advantages of tray and packed columns
• Economics of distillation control
• Degrees of freedom analysis
• Fundamentals of process control
• Process value, set point and controller output
• Direct acting and reverse acting process
• Direct acting and reverse acting controller
• PID algorithm
• Explanation of gain, reset rate and derivative time
• Demo on a dynamic simulation model
• Tank model with Flow and level control
• Dynamic response to load and set point changes
• Effect of change in controller tuning
Day II Session 1
• Advanced process control
• Cascade control
• Feed forward control
• Inferential control
• Auctioneering control
• Override control
• Lead lag control
• Three element BFW control
• Case Study: Various control strategies for temperature control for a fired heater
• Functions of process control
• Characteristics of a continuous process
• Select appropriate composition and column pressure control schemes
• Process settings during column operation
• Typical controlled and manipulated process variables
• Level, pressure, composition, temperature, flow
• Demo on a dynamic simulation model
• Column response to load and set point changes
Day III Session 1
• Effect of various parameters on controller Stability and Performance
• Controller performance criteria
• Final control elements, control algorithms
• Open and closed loop tuning strategies
• Characteristics of towers
• Single-ended/Double–ended composition control
• Complex tower configurations
• Controlling tops composition in distillation
• Reflux rate, reflux ratio, distillate rate
• Distillation column control examples
• Pressure, overheads rate and composition
• Pressure, bottoms rate and composition
• Pressure, bottoms rate and overhead composition, with partial condenser
• Pressure, overhead rate and bottoms composition
• Pressure, bottoms rate, overhead rate and composition
Day IV Session 1
• Startup of a distillation column -debutanizer
• Shutdown of a distillation column -debutanizer
Response to emergency situations like cooling water failure and power loss
Question and Answer Session
There will be a one-hour lunch break each day in addition to a refreshment and networking break during each morning and afternoon session
8:00 Registration and coffee (first day only)
8:30 Session begins
Jimi Bhatt is a Chemical Engineer with an MBA degree and over ten years experience in refining and chemical industry. His expertise spans across steady state and dynamic simulation, real time performance monitoring, development and implementation of Advanced planning and scheduling tools. Jimi currently heads the Advanced Solutions Group at Ingenious Inc with a team of 15 chemical engineers. Jimi has led and managed several major training simulator and engineering projects and is well conversant with leading Process Simulation packages like ChemCAD, Hysys, Aspen, Petro-SIM and PRO-II. He has conducted many courses on modeling, simulation and optimization for leading companies like PETRONAS, Reliance, National Research and Development Centre, etc. He is also lectures at the B.V. College of Engineering on Modeling, Simulation and Process Control to the final year engineering students.
- Prerequisites & Certificates
2.4 CEUs / 24 PDHs
- Cancellation Policy
To withdraw from a course, you must send a request, in writing, with the official receipt to our office. Fifteen or more business days in advance: full refund less $50.00 administration charge. Five to fifteen business days in advance: non-refundable credit of equal value for any future EPIC seminar within one year. Credits are transferable within your organization. In case of an unexpected event occurring after this time, you may send someone else to take your place without any additional cost.
- Map & Reviews
EPIC Educational Program Innovations Center
[ View Provider's Profile ]
ReviewsHere are some reviews of the training vendor.
This course has not yet been rated by one of our members.
If you have taken a course through this vendor please log into your account and leave feedback for this vendor. You will be helping ensure our members get directed to the best training facilities.
This course currently does not have any dates scheduled. Please call 1-877-313-8881 to enquire about future dates or scheduling a private, in house course for your team.
This page has been viewed 379 times.