Designed for those who want to be able to speak intelligently about Java & understand Java code & syntax. Professionals in the areas of quality assurance, technical writing/documentation, project managers & others will benefit from this course.
- Course Outline
The "Java: Start Your Engines!" course is designed for IT professionals who need to understand the Java programming language and do not have prior programming experience. This course is geared towards individuals who want to be able to speak intelligently about Java and understand Java code and syntax. Past students who have benefited from this course include professionals in the areas of quality assurance, technical writing/documentation, project managers, and other technical-related fields.
* Understand the importance of Java and how it is being used today in software development
* Understand object oriented programming (OOP) versus procedural programming.
* Become familiar with OOAD methodologies and how to analyze and design an application from an object-oriented viewpoint.
* Understand classes, objects, attributes, and behaviours
* Use UML to visually depict the classes in a problem domain
* Become familiar with the Java language and tools using Java 2.
* Become familiar with Java's built-in data types and the java.lang.String class.
* Be able to write a class in Java, including determining the appropriate member variables and methods
* Learn how to make decisions in Java using the if/else and switch statements.
* Learn how to perform repetition in Java using for and while loops.
* Understand arrays
* Become familiar with inheritance
* Understand Java applets and how to write and display one in a web page.
Module 1: An Introduction to Java
* Java Overview: What Java is and why it is so popular today.
* The Lifecycle of Other Programs: A look at how programs are developed in other languages.
* The Lifecycle of a Java Program: A look at how Java programs are developed.
* Performance Issues: Translating vs. Interpreting.
* A Simple Java Program: Writing a class in Java with a main() in it.
* The Java Development Kit: The tools used to create a Java program.
* Writing a Java Program: The details of creating and running a Java program.
Module 2: Object Oriented Analysis & Design
* OOP and Procedural Languages: Today’s common programming languages.
* Writing a Program Procedurally: An overview of how procedural programs are designed.
* Writing a Program Using Objects: An overview of OOP.
* Classes and Object: The fundamental components of an object-oriented program.
* An Introduction to OOAD: Object Oriented Analysis and Design.
* UML: The Unified Modeling Language.
Module 3: The Java Programming Language
* Java Keywords: The Java language.
* Identifiers: Names used to identify the various parts of a program, like names of classes, methods and fields.
* The Built-in Data Types: The way Java stores data.
* The String Class: A useful class in Java.
* Declaring Variables: Allocating memory for data.
* Arithmetic Operators: The syntax of the Java operators and their order of operation.
* Parameters and Return Values: How to determine if a method needs parameters and/or a return value.
Module 4: Classes and Objects
* Classes and Objects: An object is an instance of a class.
* Writing a Class in Java: Determining fields and methods.
* Instantiating Objects: The "new" keyword.
* Using Objects: The dot operator.
* Understanding References: Understanding the difference between a reference and an object.
Module 5: Methods
* Methods: The signature of a method.
* Invoking Methods: Using the dot operator.
* Passing References by Value: Understanding call-by-value.
* Invoking Methods: The dot operator.
* Local Variables vs. Member Variables: Understanding the difference.
* Constructors: A special type of method that allows an object to be initialized when it is instantiated.
Module 6: Control Structures
* Flow of Control: Java’s control structures.
* Comparison Operators
* Boolean Expressions: Logic and the Boolean operators.
* The if Statement: The basic tool for making decisions.
* The if/else Statement: Extending an if statement.
* The switch Statement: Another decision maker.
* The while Loop: Repeating code.
* The do/while Loop: A variation of the while loop.
* The for Loop: Useful for repeating a specific number of tasks.
Module 7: Arrays
* Arrays: Contiguous memory for storing data.
* Array References
* Array Objects: Instantiating arrays.
* Arrays of Primitive Data Types
* Arrays of Objects
Module 8: Inheritance
* Inheritance: Creating new classes from existing classes.
* The "is a" Relationship: Determining when inheritance is a good design.
* The extends Keyword: Implementing inheritance in Java.
* What Gets Inherited: Understanding what a child inherits from its parent.
* Single Inheritance: A child can only have one parent.
* Method Overriding: A child class overriding a behavior of the parent class.
Module 9: Applets
* An Overview of Applets: A Java program that runs in a web browser.
* The Applet Class: The parent class of all applets.
* The Methods of the Applet Class: init(), start(), stop(), destroy() and paint().
* Embedding an Applet in a Webpage: The
- Prerequisites & Certificates
This is an introductory course and has no programming prerequisites.
Certificate of completion. There is no exam for this course, but the course will set the foundation for students interested in pursuing the Sun Certified Java Programmer Certification.
- Cancellation Policy
10 business day cancellation policy. if the course is confirmed and the student cancels within 10 days of the course, then they get charged and apply a credit for future courses. If they cancel outside of 10 business days, then there are no charges at all.
- Map & Reviews
[ View Provider's Profile ]
ReviewsHere are some reviews of the training vendor.
This course has not yet been rated by one of our members.
If you have taken a course through this vendor please log into your account and leave feedback for this vendor. You will be helping ensure our members get directed to the best training facilities.
This course currently does not have any dates scheduled. Please call 1-877-313-8881 to enquire about future dates or scheduling a private, in house course for your team.
This page has been viewed 3731 times.