With a host of new challenges and responsibilities to tackle, new supervisors need training like never before. This three-day workshop will help you teach participants how to overcome many of the problems a new supervisor may encounter.
- Course Outline
With a host of new challenges and responsibilities to tackle, new supervisors need training like never before. Learning how to supervise new employees on a trial and error basis can lead to discouragement. This three-day workshop will help you teach participants how to overcome many of the problems a new supervisor may encounter.
Specific learning objectives include:
- Clarify the scope and nature of a supervisory position.
- Learn some ways to deal with the challenges of the role.
- Recognize the responsibilities you have as a supervisor, to yourself, your team, and your organization.
- Learn key techniques to help you plan and prioritize effectively.
- Acquire a basic understanding of leadership, team building, communication, and motivation, and what part they play in effective supervision.
- Develop strategies for motivating your team, giving feedback, and resolving conflict.
Introduction and Course Overview
- You will spend the first part of the day getting to know participants and discussing what will take place during the workshop. Students will also have an opportunity to identify their personal learning objectives.
- To begin, participants will learn some key strategies for new supervisors. Then, they will discuss ways to ease the transition from employee to supervisor, and how to solve common problems.
- Next, participants will talk about their responsibilities to themselves, their employer, and their employees.
- During this session, participants will learn how to use the urgent-important matrix to plan and prioritize. Participants will also be given a framework for planning.
- This session will help participants set SMART goals.
- To wrap up the first day, participants will look at different leadership models, including the Direction-Support model.
- During this session, participants will learn about Paul Hersey's situational leadership model.
- Next, participants will brainstorm ways to deal with four types of employee problems: excessive complaining, laziness, hostility, and over-dependence.
- This session will begin looking at teamwork by exploring synergy: when the whole of the team is more than the sum of the parts.
- Next, participants will discuss why trust is so important in a team environment, and how to build trust.
- This session will educate participants about Tuckman and Jensen's four stages of team development, and how leaders can help teams at each stage.
- During this session, participants will discuss what communication is, what can be a barrier to communication, how to engage in active listening, and how to ask good questions.
- This session will give participants a three-step model to use with employees who are agitated in some way (for example, excited, frustrated, or angry).
- Next, participants will talk about three approaches to motivation: the carrot, the whip, and the plant.
- During this session, participants will rate their company's orientation and develop ideas for improvement to bring back to their workplace.
- This session will give participants some guidelines for effective training, whether they are the trainer or the trainee.
- Giving feedback is one of the most important management tasks, yet many people find it a tricky area. This session will give participants some tools that they can use.
- Next, participants will learn about the degrees of delegation and common pitfalls.
- This session will give participants a six-step model to resolve conflict, and a separate model to resolve problems. Then, concepts from the entire workshop will be practiced in a role play.
- To wrap up the workshop, participants will learn about various kinds of discipline and what to do if they have to fire an employee.
- At the end of the third day, students will have an opportunity to ask questions and fill out an action plan.
- Prerequisites & Certificates
Certificate of Completion
- Cancellation Policy
ctc TrainCanada - We Never Cancel*:
We are unique in the corporate training field in that we do not cancel desktop applications courses due to low enrollment. When there are less than 3 students, ctc TrainCanada will personalize the class (students then receive more time with the instructor to address their individual needs allowing the student to complete the full course in less time) or connect the student remotely to a class at one of our other branches via TrainLive remote classroom instruction. *Microsoft Certified Courses and other technical courses require a minimum enrollment of three students. Business Skills courses require multiple students in order to run due to the interactive nature of the training. Selected Desktop Applications courses may require a minimum enrollment of two students to run. ctc TrainCanada® reserves the right to deliver Microsoft Certified and other technical courses via TrainLive remote classroom instruction in order to guarantee the course to run.
ctc TrainCanada Cancellation policy:
You may cancel or reschedule this registration in writing with no penalty with a minimum of 10 business days' notice prior to the first day of the course. Full payment is required if you cancel or reschedule this registration within 10 business days prior to the first day of the course. However, substitutions are welcome. If you do need to cancel or reschedule a publicly scheduled course within the 10 day non-cancellation period (not a client dedicated course), payment is to be made and a training voucher for a public course will be issued to you. This allows you to attend a future date for the same course at no charge (subject to availability).
No-shows will not be issued a training voucher.
Complimentary Service: We offer all our students coffee, tea, juice or pop, muffins or pastries in the morning and cookies baked in our own oven each afternoon.
- Map & Reviews
[ View Provider's Profile ]
ReviewsHere are some reviews of the training vendor.
This course has not yet been rated by one of our members.
If you have taken a course through this vendor please log into your account and leave feedback for this vendor. You will be helping ensure our members get directed to the best training facilities.
This course currently does not have any dates scheduled. Please call 1-877-313-8881 to enquire about future dates or scheduling a private, in house course for your team.
This page has been viewed 859 times.