Before attending this course, students must have: Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and its core functionality Good Knowledge of Excel spreadsheets, functions, and charts Working knowledge of relational databases
LessonsThis 3-day instructor led course is designed to give students the ability to add BI techniques to Excel data analysis, from importing data from various data sources, to creating data visualizations and Power BI dashboards.
This is a Microsoft Official Course (MOC) delivered by a Learning Tree expert instructor.
You Will Learn How To
- Explore and extend a classic Excel dashboard
- Explore and extend an Excel data model
- Pre-format and import a .CSV file
- Import data from a SQL Server database
- Import data from a report
- Create measures using advanced DAX functions
- Create data visualizations in Excel
- Create a Power BI dashboard with Excel
Important Course Information
Before attending this course, students must have:
- Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and its core functionality
- Good Knowledge of Excel spreadsheets, functions, and charts
- Working knowledge of relational databases
This course is eligible for Microsoft Software Assurance Training Voucher (SATV) redemption.
Module 1: Data Analysis in Excel
This module looks at the classic Excel dashboard and at ways to extend it.
- Classic Data Analysis with Excel
- Excel Pivot Tables
- Limitations of Classic Data Analysis
- Filtering and Formatting Data
- Building a Pivot Table
- Building a Pivot Chart
- Building a Dashboard
- Describe classic data analysis with Excel
- Describe Excel pivot tables
- Describe the limitations of classic data analysis with Excel
Module 2: The Excel Data Model
This module looks at the classic Excel data model and at ways to extend it.
- Using an Excel Data Model
- Create Calculated Columns
- Format Data Model Data
- Create Measures
- Analyse the Data
- Describe an Excel data model
- View data within an Excel data table Describe DAX
Module 3: Importing Data from Files
This module looks at pre-formatting and importing CSV files.
- Importing Data into Excel
- Shaping and Transforming Data
- Loading Data
- Import and Transform Data from a CSV File
- Add Data from a Folder
- Import data into excel
- Shape and transform data
- Load data
Module 4: Importing Data from Databases
This module looks at how to import data into Excel from a SQL Server database.
- Available Data Sources
- Previewing, Shaping, and Transforming Data
- Table Relationships and Hierarchies
- Loading Data
- Import Data from SQL Server
- Import Data from a CSV File
- Create a Data Table
- Identify available data sources
- Preview, shape, and transform data
- Explain table relationships and hierarchies
- Load data from various sources
Module 5: Importing Data from Excel Reports
This module describes how to import data from a report.
- Transforming Excel report Data
- Import Data from Excel
- Transform the Excel Data
- Load the Data into an Excel Data Model
- Import data from Excel reports
- Transform Excel report data
Module 6: Creating and Formatting Measures
This module describes how to create and format measures.
- Advanced DAX Functions
- Last year comparison
- Year to date
- Market Share
- Explain what DAX is and when to use it
- Describe a measure
- Use some of the advanced functions within DAX
Module 7: Visualizing Data in Excel
This module describes how to visualize data in Excel.
- Pivot Charts
- Cube Functions
- Charts for Cube Functions
- Create a Tabular Report
- Create a Pivot Chart
- Add Slicers to Charts
- Create and refine a pivot chart
- Describe cube functions and when to use them
- Describe a number of charts for use with cube functions
Module 8: Using Excel with Power BI
This module describes how to use Excel with Power BI.
- Power BI
- Uploading Excel Data to Power BI
- Power BI Mobile App
- Uploading Excel Data
- Creating a Power BI Dashboard
- Describe Power Bi and the various versions available
- Upload Excel data to Power BI
- Describe the Power BI App
Course Tuition Includes:
After-Course Instructor Coaching
When you return to work, you are entitled to schedule a free coaching session with your instructor for help and guidance as you apply your new skills.
Standard Course Hours: 9:00 am â€“ 4:30 pm
*Informal discussion with instructor about your projects or areas of special interest: 4:30 pm â€“ 5:30 pm
FREE Online Course Exam (if applicable) â€“ Last Day: 3:30 pm â€“ 4:30 pm
By successfully completing your FREE online course exam, you will:
Have a record of your growth and learning results.
Bring proof of your progress back to your organization
Earn credits toward industry certifications (if applicable)
Make progress toward one or more Learning Tree Specialist & Expert Certifications (if applicable)
We require 16 calendar days notice to reschedule or cancel any registration. Failure to provide the required notification will result in 100% charge of the course. If a student does not attend a scheduled course without prior notification it will result in full forfeiture of the funds and no reschedule will be allowed. Within the required notification period, only student substitutions will be permitted. Reschedules are permitted at anytime with 16 or more calendar days notice. Enrollments must be rescheduled within six months of the cancel date or funds on account will be forfeited.
Virtual - AnyWare Centre