This 5-day course provides students with the knowledge and skills to maintain a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 database. The course focuses on teaching individuals how to use SQL Server 2008 R2 product features and tools related to maintaining a database.
- Course Start Date: Dec. 12
- Location: Toronto
- Time: 9:00 am - 4:30 pm (Note on end times)
- Duration: 5 Days
on the number or students and pace of the class.
It is important to allow for the class to run a little bit longer,
or finish a little sooner, than expected.
- Delivery Method(s):Instructor Assisted (Mentored)
- Discount Seats Available:2
- Category:Microsoft SQL Training
that provides you with the quality training that
you have come to expect, and combines it with
flexible learning and a self paced environment.
For more information click here.
- Course Outline
This five-day course provides students with the knowledge and skills to maintain a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 database. The course focuses on teaching individuals how to use SQL Server 2008 R2 product features and tools related to maintaining a database.
Module 1: Introduction to SQL Server 2008 R2 and its Toolset
This module introduces you to the entire SQL Server platform and its major tools. This module also covers editions, versions, basics of network listeners, and concepts of services and service accounts.
· Introduction to SQL Server Platform
· Working with SQL Server Tools
· Configuring SQL Server Services
Lab : Introduction to SQL Server 2008 R2 and its Toolset
· Verify SQL Server Component Installation
· Alter Service Accounts for New Instance
· Enable Named Pipes Protocol for Both Instances
· Create Aliases for AdventureWorks and Proseware
· Ensure SQL Browser is Disabled and Configure a Fixed TCP/IP Port
· Describe the SQL Server Platform
· Work with SQL Server Tools
· Configure SQL Server Services
Module 2: Preparing Systems for SQL Server 2008 R2
This module covers planning for an installation related to SQL Server I/O requirements, 32 bit vs 64 bit, memory configuration options and I/O subsystem pre-installation checks using SQLIOSim and SQLIO.
· Overview of SQL Server 2008 R2 Architecture
· Planning Server Resource Requirements
· Pre-installation Testing for SQL Server 2008 R2
Lab : Preparing Systems for SQL Server 2008 R2
· Adjust memory configuration
· Perform Pre-installation Stress Testing
· Check Specific I/O Operations
· Describe the SQL Server architecture
· Plan for server resource requirements
· Conduct pre-installation stress testing for SQL Server
Module 3: Installing and Configuring SQL Server 2008 R2
This module details installing and configuring SQL Server 2008 R2.
· Preparing to Install SQL Server 2008 R2
· Installing SQL Server 2008 R2
· Upgrading and Automating Installation
Lab : Installing and Configuring SQL Server 2008 R2
· Review installation requirements
· Install the SQL Server instance
· Perform Post-installation Setup and Checks
· Configure Server Memory
· Prepare to install SQL Server
· Install SQL Server
· Upgrade and automate the installation of SQL Server
Module 4: Working with Databases
This module describes the system databases, the physical structure of databases and the most common configuration options related to them.
· Overview of SQL Server Databases
· Working with Files and Filegroups
· Moving Database Files
Lab : Working with Databases
· Adjust tempdb configuration
· Create the RateTracking database
· Attach the OldProspects database
· Add multiple files to tempdb
· Describe the role and structure of SQL Server databases
· Work with files and filegroups
· Move database files within servers and between servers
Module 5: Understanding SQL Server 2008 R2 Recovery Models
This module describes the concept of the transaction log and SQL Server recovery models. It introduces the different backup strategies available with SQL Server 2008 R2.
· Backup Strategies
· Understanding SQL Server Transaction Logging
· Planning a SQL Server Backup Strategy
Lab : Understanding SQL Server 2008 R2 Recovery Models
· Plan a backup strategy
· Configure recovery models
· Review recovery models and strategy
· Describe the critical concepts surrounding backup strategies
· Explain the transaction logging capabilities within the SQL Server database engine
· Plan a SQL Server backup strategy
Module 6: Backup of SQL Server 2008 R2 Databases
This module describes SQL Server 2008 R2 Backup and the backup types.
· Backing up Databases and Transaction Logs
· Managing Database Backups
· Working with Backup Options
Lab : Backup of SQL Server 2008 R2 Databases
· Investigate backup compression
· Transaction log backup
· Differential backup
· Copy only backup
· Partial backup
· Back up databases and transaction logs
· Manage database backups
· Work with more advanced backup options
Module 7: Restoring SQL Server 2008 R2 Databases
This module describes the restoration of databases.
· Understanding the Restore Process
· Restoring Databases
· Working with Point-in-time Recovery
· Restoring System Databases and Individual Files
Lab : Restoring SQL Server 2008 R2 Databases
· Determine a restore strategy
· Restore the database
· Using STANDBY mode
· Understand the restore process
· Restore databases
· Work with Point-in-time Recovery
· Restore system databases and individual files
Module 8: Importing and Exporting Data
This module covers the use of the import/export wizards and explains how they relate to SSIS. Also introduces BCP.
· Transferring Data To/From SQL Server 2008 R2
· Importing & Exporting Table Data
· Inserting Data in Bulk
Lab : Importing and Exporting Data
· Import the Excel spreadsheet
· Import the CSV file
· Create and test an extraction package
· Compare loading performance
· Transfer data to and from SQL Server
· Import and export table data
· Insert data in bulk and optimize the bulk insert process
Module 9: Authenticating and Authorizing Users
This module covers SQL Server 2008 R2 security models, logins and users.
· Authenticating Connections to SQL Server
· Authorizing Logins to Access Databases
· Authorization Across Servers
Lab : Authenticating and Authorizing Users
· Create Logins
· Correct an Application Login Issue
· Create Database Users
· Correct Access to Restored Database
· Describe how SQL Server authenticates connections
· Describe how logins are authorized to access databases
· Explain the requirements for authorization across servers
Module 10: Assigning Server and Database Roles
This module covers fixed server roles, fixed database roles and user-defined database roles.
· Working with Server Roles
· Working with Fixed Database Roles
· Creating User-defined Database Roles
Lab : Assigning Server and Database Roles
· Assign Server Roles
· Assign Fixed Database Roles
· Create and Assign User-defined Database Roles
· Check Role Assignments
· Work with server roles
· Work with fixed database roles
· Create user-defined database roles
Module 11: Authorizing Users to Access Resources
This module covers permissions and the assignment of permissions.
· Authorizing User Access to Objects
· Authorizing Users to Execute Code
· Configuring Permissions at the Schema Level
Lab : Authorizing Users to Access Resources
· Assign Schema-level Permissions
· Assign Object-level Permissions
· Test Permissions
· Authorize user access to objects
· Authorize users to execute code
· Configure permissions at the schema level
Module 12: Auditing SQL Server Environments
This module covers SQL Server Audit.
· Options for Auditing Data Access in SQL Server
· Implementing SQL Server Audit
· Managing SQL Server Audit
Lab : Auditing SQL Server Environments
· Determine audit configuration and create auditCreate server audit specificationsCreate database audit specificationsTest audit functionality
· Describe the options for auditing data access in SQL Server
· Implement SQL Server Audit
· Manage SQL Server Audit
Module 13: Automating SQL Server 2008 R2 Management
This module covers SQL Server Agent, jobs and job history.
· Automating SQL Server Management
· Working with SQL Server Agent
· Managing SQL Server Agent Jobs
Lab : Automating SQL Server 2008 R2 Management
· Create a Data Extraction Job
· Schedule the Data Extraction Job
· Troubleshoot a Failing Job
· Automate SQL Server Management
· Work with SQL Server Agent
· Manage SQL Server Agent jobs
Module 14: Configuring Security for SQL Server Agent
This module covers SQL Server agent security, proxy accounts and credentials.
· Understanding SQL Server Agent Security
· Configuring Credentials
· Configuring Proxy Accounts
Lab : Configuring Security for SQL Server Agent
· Troubleshoot job execution failure
· Resolve the security issue
· Perform further troubleshooting
· Explain SQL Server Agent security
· Configure credentials
· Configure Proxy accounts
Module 15: Monitoring SQL Server 2008 R2 with Alerts and Notifications
This module covers the configuration of database mail, alerts and notifications.
· Configuration of Database Mail
· Monitoring SQL Server Errors
· Configuring Operators, Alerts and Notifications
Lab : Monitoring SQL Agent Jobs with Alerts and Notifications
· Configure Database Mail
· Implement Notifications
· Implement Alerts
· Configure database mail
· Monitor SQL Server errors
· Configure operators, alerts and notifications
Module 16: Performing Ongoing Database Maintenance
This module covers database maintenance plans.
· Ensuring Database Integrity
· Maintaining Indexes
· Automating Routine Database Maintenance
Lab : Ongoing Database Maintenance
· Check database integrity using DBCC CHECKDB
· Correct index fragmentation
· Create a database maintenance plan
· Investigate table lock performance
· Ensure database integrity
· Maintain indexes
· Automate routine database maintenance
Module 17: Tracing Access to SQL Server 2008 R2
This module covers SQL Profiler and SQL Trace stored procedures.
· Capturing Activity using SQL Server Profiler
· Improving Performance with the Database Engine Tuning Advisor
· Working with Tracing Options
Lab : Tracing Access to SQL Server 2008 R2
· Capture a trace using SQL Server Profiler
· Analyze a trace using Database Engine Tuning Advisor
· Configure SQL Trace
· Capture activity using SQL Server Profiler
· Improve performance with the Database Engine Tuning Advisor
· Work with tracing options
Module 18: Monitoring SQL Server 2008 R2
This module introduces DMVs and the configuration of data collection.
· Monitoring Activity
· Capturing and Managing Performance Data
· Analyzing Collected Performance Data
Lab : Monitoring SQL Server 2008 R2
· Investigating DMVs
· Configure Management Data Warehouse
· Configure Instances for Data Collection
· Work with Data Collector Reports
· Monitor current activity
· Capture and manage performance data
· Analyze collected performance data
Module 19: Managing Multiple Servers
This module covers Central Management Servers and Multi-Server queries, Virtualization of SQL Server and Data-Tier Applications.
· Working with Multiple Servers
· Virtualizing SQL Server
· Deploying and Upgrading Data-Tier Applications
Lab : Managing Multiple Servers
· Configure CMS and execute multi-server queries
· Deploy a data-tier application
· Register and extract a data-tier application
· Upgrade a data-tier application
· Work with multiple servers
· Describe options for virtualizing SQL Server
· Deploy and upgrade Data-Tier Applications
Module 20: Troubleshooting Common SQL Server 2008 R2 Administrative Issues
This module covers common issues that require troubleshooting and gives guidance on where to start looking for solutions.
· SQL Server Troubleshooting Methodology
· Resolving Service-related Issues
· Resolving Concurrency Issues
· Resolving Login and Connectivity Issues
Lab : Troubleshooting Common Issues
· Troubleshoot and resolve SQL Server administrative issues
· Explain SQL Server troubleshooting methodology
· Resolve service-related issues
· Resolve concurrency issues
· Resolve login and connectivity issues
- Prerequisites & Certificates
Certificate of completion
- Cancellation Policy
Cancellations or postponements received more than ten business days prior to the first day of the course will be fully refunded less a $75 processing fee. The cost of the course is payable, in full, for any cancellations or postponements received within ten business days, or less, prior to the first day of the course.
- Map & Reviews
Acend Corporate Learning
[ View Provider's Profile ]
Toronto Training Center
69 Yonge St
Canada M5H 1A1
ReviewsHere are some reviews of the training vendor.
This course has not yet been rated by one of our members.
If you have taken a course through this vendor please log into your account and leave feedback for this vendor. You will be helping ensure our members get directed to the best training facilities.
Registration is fast, and will take approximately 3 minutes. There is no membership fee.
» You are also welcome to Make an Offer
In either case, our Make an Offer feature gives you the opportunity to name
your own price. Try it out, you might get lucky, just keep in mind it can
take up to 1 full business day to get a response!
This course currently does not have any dates other than this one scheduled. Please call 1-877-313-8881 to enquire about future dates.
Not interested in this Course?
Tell us why:
This page has been viewed 31 times.