This two day course instructs developers how to connect with remote data using web services and Flex Data Services' features allowing communication with a Java backend. In addition, skills will be learned how to manipulate and format the returned data.
- Course Outline
Flex 2: Data and Communications provides experienced application developers with hands-on, practical experience connecting their Flex font ends to remote, dynamic data using Flex Data Services. This two day course instructs developers how to connect with remote data using web services and Flex Data Services' features allowing communication with a Java backend. In addition, skills will be learned how to manipulate and format the returned data.
After taking this course, you will be able to:
- Populate your Flex application at runtime with data from an external web service
- Transmit data from your Flex application to a web service (including file uploads)
- Create a Flex application that dynamically interacts with XML, web services, Java Classes, and ColdFusion Components
- Manipulate complex data sets at runtime based on user requests
Unit 1: Introducing Adobe Flex 2
- Understanding rich Internet applications
- Introducing the Adobe Flex 2 product line
- The foundation of the RIA: Flash Player/Flash Virtual Machine
- Understanding the Flex application process flow
- Getting help and other resources
- Using web services
- Invoking web service methods and using the results
- Consuming a web service
- Handling results using an event handler
- Handling faults
- Calling multiple methods from the same WebService object
- Passing Parameters to Web Services
- Introducing Flex Data Services
- Installing Flex Data Services
- Explore the Flex Data Services Installation
- Creating a Flex application for use with Flex Data Services
- Navigating the Flex Project Structure
- Understanding the Server Compilation Process
- Flex Data Services Features
- The Flex Proxy Service
- The Proxy Service Default Destination
- Named Proxy Service Destinations
- Understanding remote object services
- Configuring ColdFusion, Flex Builder and calling a remote object service method
- Exchanging data between ActionScript and ColdFusion
- Understanding Remote Object Services
- Calling a Remote Object Service method
- Handling RPC Events
- Complex Remote Method Calls
- Exchanging Data between ActionScript and Java
- Validating form data
- Triggering validation with events
- Validating Numeric Input
- Triggering validation with ActionScript
- Using regular expressions
- Formatting Data
- Understanding Collection Classes
- Filtering data
- Creating a data sort
- Using the IViewCursor interface
- Creating a project that uses FDS
- Introducing the Flex Message Service
- Reviewing Message Destination Configuration
- Understanding Publish-Subscribe Messaging
- Publishing Messages
- Receiving and processing messages
- Sending and Receiving Complex Data
- What is the Flex Data Management Service?
- Exploring a Data Management Services Destination
- Data Management Service Architecture
- Changing Data
- Managing Pending Changes
- Using Events
- Handling DataService Results
- Advanced Data Management Service Features
- Understanding XML structure
- Working with XML data in ActionScript 3
- Using the Tree Control
- Retrieving XML data and populating a Tree
- Using XML objects
- Removing XML items from a list
- Implementing file transfer basics
- Uploading a file to the server
- Enhancing the user experience with FileReference events
- Understanding the FileReferenceList class
- Use the Data Management Service to retrieve photo data
- Send real-time messages between applications
- Prerequisites & Certificates
This course is designed for application developers who want to connect their Flex font ends to dynam ic data. To gain the most from this class, you should: * Have attended the Flex 2: Rich Client Applications course. * Have equivalent knowledge of the topics covered in Flex 2: Rich Client Applications
Certificate of completion and course manual provided.
- Cancellation Policy
Our cancellation/reschedule policy requires notification at least 10 business days before the class start date for a full refund. Please note that you are responsible for notifying NTG of your inability to attend class or you will be invoiced for the full payment.
Should you need to cancel in less than 10 business days before the start of the class, you will be given a 100% credit towards a future class that must be taken within 6 months of the start of the original class. If you are not able to reschedule to a future class, you will be charged 50% of the upfront registration fee.
Classes are subject to cancellation by NTG up to two weeks prior to the class date. It is important to keep this in mind before you purchase a non-refundable airline ticket.
- Map & Reviews
New Toronto Group
[ View Provider's Profile ]
ReviewsHere are some reviews of the training vendor.
This course has not yet been rated by one of our members.
If you have taken a course through this vendor please log into your account and leave feedback for this vendor. You will be helping ensure our members get directed to the best training facilities.
This course currently does not have any dates scheduled. Please call 1-877-313-8881 to enquire about future dates or scheduling a private, in house course for your team.
This page has been viewed 219 times.