This course shows you how to address the needs of your readers & teaches you how to write letters, emails, & short reports that are clear, concise & persuasive. The skills learned will immediately improve the productivity of writers & their readers.
- Course Outline
Improving your writing skills enhances your productivity and effectiveness: skilled writers can produce more effective documents in less time. Better letters and proposals mean stronger relationships with your customers and better internal communication means more effective and efficient decision-making.
This course shows you how to address the needs of your readers and teaches you how to write letters, emails, and short reports that are clear, concise and persuasive. The skills learned will immediately improve the productivity of writers and their readers.Who Should Attend
This course is for anyone who writes letters, memos, emails or short reports. It's ideal for groups with diverse needs.You will learn how to
- Follow a time-saving, four-step process
- Draft quickly and easily - overcome writers' block
- Write powerful openings that draw the reader in and set the right tone
- Layout your documents to improve clarity and readability
- Write clear, concise sentences that positively reflect your organization's culture and values
- Motivate your reader by framing ideas as benefits
- Identify and correct any grammar mistakes that erode your credibility
- Use templates to structure letters and short, persuasive memos and email messages.
We recognize that people learn best by doing, and they do a lot in this course. It includes mini-lectures, small- and large-group discussions, games and lots of exercises. It is highly interactive to reinforce what is taught and includes peer editing in a non-threatening environment. Participants will have opportunities to write and revise about 100 sentences and several documents.Course Outline
This module introduces the writing process and teaches you how to structure and clarify your ideas.
Understand writing as a process: Learn a four-step process applicable to any writing situation. You learn how to create better quality documents in less time, every time.
Know your purpose and audience. These are essential and too often overlooked components of effective writing.
Plan your document to save time in the long run.
- Generate your best ideas
- Gather and organize data
- Create an outline
Draft quickly and painlessly.
Persuade your reader. Frame your ideas as benefits.
Structure your draft to clarify your message.
- Bottom lining: recognize your main idea and ensure it comes first
- Headings: make them informative
- Lists: use to break up complex information
- Layout: reveal the shape of your thoughts so readers can quickly scan
In this module, you learn the elements of style that help engage readers and maximize the clarity and persuasiveness of your message.
Be reader centred
- Make your writing compelling by expressing your message from the reader's point of view.
- Create a positive, upbeat impression.
Compose in a modern style
- A friendly, professional tone demonstrates your approachability.
- Cut out the fat that slows your prose. Concise writing shows you at your most focused and energetic.
Use strong verbs
- Make your writing more vibrant by using verbs.
Prefer the active voice
- Evoke a personal connection and add clarity to your style by preferring the active voice.
Learn to avoid embarrassing mistakes that erode your credibility and your organization's with a lively refresher of grammar and punctuation.
Identify and correct these common grammar errors
- Subject/verb agreement
- Noun/pronoun agreement
- Parallel structure
- Dangling modifiers
- Sentence fragments
- Dashes, colons, quotation marks
Usage: identifying words that are often misused.
Capitalization and hyphenation
A practical look at letters, emails and short reports. For some groups, we create case studies. For others, we have participants work on their own writing. For mixed or general groups, we provide templates and case studies for the following most popular career builders:
Giving bad news diplomatically
- Use templates for structuring bad news messages
- Learn to use a tone that will maintain goodwill
- Begin smoothly, end gracefully
- Write a powerful opening paragraph that gets to the point and engages the reader
- Structure your recommendation for a large, diverse audience
- Persuade your readers
- Edit for clarity and readability
- Write informative subject lines
- Get to your point fast and write an engaging opening paragraph
- Layout for maximum readability
- Practice the rules of netiquette to be a courteous and responsible user
We recognize that people learn best by doing, and they do a lot in this course. It includes mini-lectures, small- and large-group discussions, games and lots of exercises. It is highly interactive to reinforce what is taught and includes peer editing in a non-threatening environment. Participants will have opportunities to write and revise about 100 sentences and several documents.
Course Length and Size
This is a two-day course. We recommend classes of about twelve people. This provides for healthy group interaction and allows for individual coaching when necessary.
"This course will help me create more reader-friendly, influencing emails. Gave me tricks on how to start and deal with mental blocks, mind mapping etc." Maricar P, Trimark Investments
"Excellent! A great refresher on grammar and an exciting opportunity to learn to express myself in a positive, polite and professional way." Ashley Mino-Alvarado, Sunquest Vacations
"Great - I really found it valuable and will use it in many forums moving forward (personal, professional, oral, academic) I liked the action plan, the puzzles, energizers - multi-faceted teaching! It's great!" Brynn Winegard, Pfizer
"Amazing! You know your audience. This course gave me the tools to build some confidence in my writing." Luke G, Ernst and Young
"Very good course. Teaches you to be positive, get to the point. Makes you think what the reader wants to read." Matt Tarlton, JS Redpath
- Prerequisites & Certificates
Certificate of Completion * Meals and Materials are included
- Cancellation Policy
If you cannot make it the course, you can register for another one of our courses and we will apply your fees to that course.
- Map & Reviews
Bruner Business Communications
[ View Provider's Profile ]
This course has not yet been rated by one of our members.
If you have taken a course through this vendor please log into your account and leave feedback for this vendor. You will be helping ensure our members get directed to the best training facilities.
This course currently does not have any dates scheduled. Please call 1-877-313-8881 to enquire about future dates or scheduling a private, in house course for your team.
This page has been viewed 1721 times.