In this course, you'll get an in-depth look at the eXtensible Markup Language (XML) and discover why it is so dominant in modern applications.
- Course Outline
In this course, you'll get an in-depth look at the eXtensible Markup Language (XML) and discover why it is so dominant in modern applications. You will learn how to create and parse XML documents, validate documents with Document Type Definitions (DTDs), and transform documents using the eXtensible Stylesheet Language (XSL) and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS).
What You'll Learn
- Role of XML in modern applications
- Create well-formed XML documents
- Create internal and external DTDs
- Master the XML Schema syntax
- Create both CSS and XSL stylesheets
- XML name spaces
- Build data-driven XML applications
Web development professionals who would like to learn how to program using XML.
1. Introduction to XML
- The development of XML
- Why XML?
- Microsoft and XML extensions
- Why use a browser to display XML?
- The components of an XML application
- Completing an HTML "wrapper"
- XML logical structure
- XML physical structure
- XML logic: Designing datasheets
- Building a well-formed XML document from text data
- XML attributes revisited
- Why use attributes?
- An introduction to our demo application
- Adding attributes to your XML datasheet
- Example: A basic DTD
- Validating against your DTDs
- Adding an internal DTD to your XML datasheet
- External DTDs
- Public vs. system DTDs
- Creating an external DTD and linking it to your XML datasheet
- Referencing an XML schema
- The "xsi" namespace
- An XML schema document
- Beginning a schema document
- Mixed content
- Validating against a schema
- Beginning an XML schema document
- Declaring attributes
- Adding attributes to your schema
- Using references to simplify your schema
- Restricting content with schemas
- Specifying default values
- Restricting the content of elements and attributes
- A brief review of CSS rules
- Displaying XML data with a CSS style sheet
- XSL, XSLT, and XSLFO
- XSL basics: Linking to an XSL style sheet
- Examining an XSL style sheet
- Beginning an XSL style sheet
- xsl:apply-templates and iterative content
- XPath: XSL node matching syntax
- Displaying iterative data with your XSL style sheet
- Using xsl:sort to re-sort your display
- Adding a sort order to your XSL
- Generating hyperlinks with XSL
- Loops with XSL
- Adding an xsl:for-each loop to your style sheet
- Building an HTML table with XSL
- xsl:if for conditional output
- Multi-option branching with xsl:choose, xsl:when, and xsl:otherwise
- Conditional operators in XSL
- Using XSL conditionals to identify Oscar winners
- XPath expressions and filters
- Using XPath filtering expressions
- Aggregate functions
- Adding aggregate functions to your style sheet
- Data conversion, calculations, and variables
- Variables in XSL and the xsl:variable tag
- Translating meters to feet using XSL
- Calculations and number formatting functions
- Using XSL calculations to produce feet and inches
- Data islands and the HTML <XML> tag
- Creating an HTML wrapper for your movie list application
- Using XSL updating to re-sort XML data
- Producing a datasheet organized by film rather than by actor
- Building a tree display of your XML content
- Prerequisites & Certificates
Certificate of Completion
- Cancellation Policy
We require 16 calendar days notice to reschedule or cancel any registration. Failure to provide the required notification will result in 100% charge of the course. If a student does not attend a scheduled course without prior notification it will result in full forfeiture of the funds and no reschedule will be allowed. Within the required notification period, only student substitutions will be permitted.
Reschedules are permitted at anytime with 16 or more calendar days notice. Enrollments must be rescheduled within six months of the cancel date or funds on account will be forfeited.
- Map & Reviews
[ View Provider's Profile ]
ReviewsHere are some reviews of the training vendor.
This course has not yet been rated by one of our members.
If you have taken a course through this vendor please log into your account and leave feedback for this vendor. You will be helping ensure our members get directed to the best training facilities.
This course currently does not have any dates scheduled. Please call 1-877-313-8881 to enquire about future dates or scheduling a private, in house course for your team.
This page has been viewed 293 times.