In this two-day course, you will learn to recognize good writing and how it differs from writing that is difficult to understand.
- Course Start Date: Oct. 22
- Location: Halifax
- Time: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm (Note on end times)
- Duration: 2 days
08:30 AM - 05:00 PM
on the number or students and pace of the class.
It is important to allow for the class to run a little bit longer,
or finish a little sooner, than expected.
- Delivery Method(s):Instructor Led
- Seats Available: YES
- Category:Business Writing Skills Training
that provides you with the quality training that
you have come to expect, and combines it with
flexible learning and a self paced environment.
For more information click here.
- Course Outline
In this two-day course, you will learn to recognize good writing and how it differs from writing that is difficult to understand. You will learn to produce reports, letters, memos, e-mail, faxes, and short articles that are effective and clearly organized. You'll also learn to eliminate embarrassing errors by developing editing checklists that you automatically apply to each piece you send out. Finally, you will be exposed to writing examples that demonstrate the points under discussion.
What You'll Learn
- Increase your productivity by eliminating "writer's block" and other time-wasting barriers.
- Improve readability: in your own writing and other people's, through editing techniques that most professional writers use
- Update your grammar, punctuation and usage: many rules have changed, but this workshop will show you what's acceptable now, and why
- Supervisors and Administrative Officers
- Technical Personnel
- Program and Information Officers
- Professionals who are expected to produce clearly written text, including e-mails
- Anyone wanting to learn how professional writers approach business writing, or seeking to refresh their writing skills
1. The Elements of "good writing"
- Four characteristics of good business writing
- Analyzing your writing samples to see if they meet these characteristics
- "Quick-fix" Techniques to Use Every Day on all your Writing
- Breaking Out of Writer's Block
- Four Editing Techniques that are Easy to Learn and Will Improve Anybody's Writing
- Two Questions that every Writer Must Answer before Beginning to write:
- What's my purpose?
- Who is the target audience?
- What Is the Passive Voice and What's wrong with it?Why do Writers Use it so frequently?
- Using Passive Voice Appropriately
- Eliminating Unnecessary words and Phrases
- Gobbledygook and Jargon
- Artful Punctuation Techniques
- Using Formatting to Catch Reader Interest:
- Using Subheads to Guide your Reader
- Using "Pull-quotes" to Emphasize Points
- Dealing with Background
- Developing Templates
- Eliminating Embarrassing Errors by Developing Editing Checklists that You Automatically Apply to Each Piece You Send Out
- Prerequisites & Certificates
14 PMI PDUs
- Cancellation Policy
We require 16 calendar days notice to reschedule or cancel any registration. Failure to provide the required notification will result in 100% charge of the course. If a student does not attend a scheduled course without prior notification it will result in full forfeiture of the funds and no reschedule will be allowed. Within the required notification period, only student substitutions will be permitted.
Reschedules are permitted at anytime with 16 or more calendar days notice. Enrollments must be rescheduled within six months of the cancel date or funds on account will be forfeited.
- Map & Reviews
[ View Provider's Profile ]
Global Knowledge Halifax
1809 Barrington Street
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada B3J 3K8
Registration is fast, and will take approximately 3 minutes. There is no membership fee.
» You are also welcome to Make an Offer
In either case, our Make an Offer feature gives you the opportunity to name
your own price. Try it out, you might get lucky, just keep in mind it can
take up to 1 full business day to get a response!
This course is also scheduled on the following dates:
Not interested in this Course?
Tell us why:
This page has been viewed 14 times.