- Mechanical Engineering Training
- LEED - Sustainable Design and Operation of Mechanical Systems in Buildings (1.8 CEUs)
This course focuses on sustainable design & operation of 4 major systems used in buildings, namely, plumping, fire protection, illumination, & noise & vibration. It covers the basics of science by which the systems operate, descriptions of the many...
- Course Outline
The building industry is approaching general acceptance of sustainable design principles. Sustainable design means that engineers must interact with architects, owners, and facility managers in a team effort to provide high-quality, productive environment for people while considering the impact of their design on the environment. The LEEDTM (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) rating system is an excellent way to quantify the sustainability of buildings.
This course focuses on sustainable design and operation of four major systems used in buildings, namely, plumping, fire protection, illumination, and noise and vibration.
It covers the basics of science by which the systems operate, descriptions of the many system and equipment options that can be selected, guidelines for which might be appropriate in given applications, and exercises and case studies to reinforce the material. Topics are introduced to individuals who have little background on the subject while providing valuable information resource to personnel having experience with mechanical and electrical systems in buildings. Objectives
- To provide basics of science by which mechanical systems in buildings operate.
- To present descriptions of system and equipment options.
- To offer guidelines for system and equipment selection and operation.
Plumbing Equipment and Systems
- Water Supply and Treatment
- Domestic Water Distribution Systems
- Plumbing Fixtures and Components
- Planning Plumbing Facilities.
- Workshop I –Sizing a plumbing system.
Fire Protection Equipment and Systems
- Classification of Fire and Construction Hazards
- Planning for Fire Protection
- Fire Safety Design
- Fire Detection and Signaling Devices
- Fire Alarm Systems
- Fire Suppression Systems
- Automatic Sprinkler Systems
- Smoke Controls
- Workshop II – Sizing and selection of a fire protection system
Light and Lighting
- Light and the Energy Spectrum
- Physics of Light
- Light Controls
Lighting Equipment and Systems
- Electrical Light Sources
- Factors to Consider in Selecting Light Sources and Equipment
- General Comparison of Lighting Systems
Calculations of Illumination
- Quantity and Quality of illumination
- Evaluating the Visual Environment
- Luminance Categories and Recommended luminance Levels
- Basis for Illumination Calculations.
- Design Considerations
- Lighting Design Development and Documentation
- Exterior Lighting Design
- Design Practice and Alternative Solutions
- Workshop III –Sizing and selection of a lighting system.
Noise and Vibrations in Mechanical and Electrical Systems
- Noise Control: An Overview
- Building Spaces Where Acoustical Concerns May Arise
- Basic Concepts of Sound
- Useful Design Criteria
- Acoustical Design Considerations in HVAC Systems
- Mechanical Equipment Rooms (MERS)
- Rooftop Units (RTUs)
- Noise in Air Supply Systems
- Sound in Ducts
- Duct Silencers
- Return Air Systems
- Room Sound Correction
- Transmission of Sound through Walls and Ceilings
- Isolation of Mechanical Vibration
- Vibration Isolators
- Seismic Vibration Control and Restraint
- The Richter Scale
- Guidelines for Seismic Design
- Acquainted with the fundamentals, design and operation of mechanical systems in buildings
- Equipped with knowledge required to carry out systematic procedures of selection of systems and equipment options
- Familiar with sustainable designs of major mechanical systems in buildings
Dr. Hamed has developed and presented numerous training courses and seminars in the field of HVAC and Refrigeration, Renewable Energy Systems, Energy Conservation and Management, Boiling Heat Transfer, and Two-phase Flows. He has served as a consultant in many projects in Canada and abroad.
His industrial experience includes design, sizing, process development, troubleshooting, and maintenance of domestic and industrial HVAC systems, air washers, cooling towers, heat exchangers, water, oil, stream and gas piping systems, various types of metal heat treating furnaces, fluidized beds, water and gas quench systems, solid-gas separation systems, and furnace atmosphere generators.
Dr. Hamed is a registered Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario and a member of various professional associations such as ASHRAE, ASM International, TMS, CSME, CFD Society of Canada, ASME, and a senior member of SME. He is also an editorial board member of the Transactions of the CSME, the International Journal of Microstructure and Materials Properties (IJMMP), and the International Journal of Computational Thermal Sciences.
- Prerequisites & Certificates
Each participant will receive a complete set of course notes and handouts that will serve as informative references. A certificate of completed Continuing Education Units (CEUs) will be granted at the end of this course.
- Cancellation Policy
If you wish to withdraw from a course, you must advise us, in writing, including the official receipt. Our policies regarding refund are:
More than fifteen business days in advance: a full refund minus $50.00 administration charge.
Fifteen or less business days in advance: a transfer to another course or a credit, valid for one year, to another GIC course can be considered. Credits are transferable within your organization.
If the course has been running for more than 2 weeks, or after the course has started, an 80% credit towards another GIC course may be considered, if notice is received before the start date of the second session. After this time, no refunds or credits will be issued. If a speaker is not available due to unforeseen circumstances, another speaker of equal ability will be substituted.
GIC reserves the right to cancel or change the date or location of its events. GIC's responsibility will, under no circumstances, exceed the amount of the fee collected. GIC is not responsible for the purchase of non-refundable travel arrangements or accommodations or the cancellation/change fees associated with cancelling them. Please call to confirm that the course is running before confirming travel arrangements and accommodations.
Refund Policy: Allow up to 30 days for refunds to be processed.
- Map & Reviews
Global Innovative Campus
[ View Provider's Profile ]
This course has not yet been rated by one of our members.
If you have taken a course through this vendor please log into your account and leave feedback for this vendor. You will be helping ensure our members get directed to the best training facilities.
This course currently does not have any dates scheduled. Please call 1-877-313-8881 to enquire about future dates or scheduling a private, in house course for your team.
This page has been viewed 418 times.