Motors are the workhorse of industrial, building & commercial electrical power systems. This course combines theoretical & practical considerations & aspects of operational principles of motors, their types, selection, testing, maintenance & troubleshoot
- Course Outline
Motors are the workhorse of industrial, building and commercial electrical power systems. This course combines theoretical and practical considerations and aspects of operational principles of motors, their types, selection, testing, maintenance and troubleshooting. The course emphasizes motor’s operational performance characteristics and electrical properties. The discussion is based on the latest IEEE and NEMA Standards governing motors and applications.
Objective To provide a comprehensive understanding of principles of operation, types, selection, testing and commissioning, protection, maintenance and troubleshooting of AC electric motors.
Target Audience Electrical professionals who need to refresh and expand their knowledge, maintenance managers, and power system consultants. A basic understanding of electrical system operations is needed, but participant do not necessarily have to be experts in the areas covered. In addition, professionals who are starting their career in the field of power in electrical utilities, industrial or commercial and institutional facilities will profit from this course.
Program Outline (1.2 CEUs / 12 PDHs)
- Electric currents and magnetic fields
- Hysteresis, and eddy current losses
- Efficiency and Losses
Induction Motors: The Basics
- Rotating Magnetic Fields
- Motor operational characteristics
- Motor construction Features
- Motor Operational Characteristics
- Motor power and torque speed characteristics
- Variations in motor torque speed characteristics: effects of voltage, frequency and unbalanced sources
- Motor design classes
- Motor insulation classes
Types of Electric Motors
- Rotating magnetic fields in single-phase induction motors
- Operational principles of single phase motors
- Equivalent circuits for single phase induction motors
- Starting single-phase induction motors
- Shaded-Pole Motors
- Split-Phase Motors
- Permanent Split-Capacitor Motors
- Capacitor Start Motors
- Capacitor-Start-Capacitor-Run Motors
- Repulsion Motors
- Design letters of single phase small motors
- Heating and Cooling
- Items to Consider in Protection of Motors
- Types of Protection:
- Phase unbalance, instantaneous phase overcurrent
- Time-Delay Phase Overcurrent, Overload (Phase Overcurrent)
- Instantaneous Ground Overcurrent, Time-Delay Ground Overcurrent
- Phase Current Differential, Split Winding Current Unbalance
- Stator Winding Overtemperature, Rotor Overtemperature
- Induction Motor Incomplete Starting Sequence Protection
- Protection Against Too Frequent Starting
- Rotor Winding Protection
- Lightning and Surge Protection
- Protection Against Overexcitation from Shunt Capacitance
- Protection Against Automatic Reclosing or Automatic Transfer
- Protection Against Excessive Shaft Torques Developed During Transfer of Motors Between Out-of-Phase Sources
- Protection Against Failure to Rotate or Reverse Rotation
- Mechanical and Other Protection
Motor Maintenance, Testing and Troubleshooting
- Failure modes
- Bearing and lubrication
- Preventive maintenance
- On-line Diagnostic Testing
Motor Selection and Application
- Electrical Factors to consider
- Mechanical Factors to consider
- Application considerations
- Economics of motor owning
He served as IEEE Canada President (2002-2003,) and Secretary of IEEE (2004-2005) and the Awards Board and Fellows Committee. Moreover, he served as IEEE Canada Awards Chair.
Dr. El-Hawary serves currently as a member of the 2010 Publications Services and Products Board, and is IEEE Press Power Engineering Series Editor. He served as Editor-in-Chief of IEEE Press in 2006-2007. He is Founding Editor, Power Letters, Power Engineering Society, is Associate Editor for the three major Electric Machines and Power Systems' Journals, and is Editor, Electrical Power Engineering, McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology
Dr. El-Hawary received numerous awards and recognitions including the McNaughton medal and is a Fellow of the Canadian Academy of Engineering, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, and the Engineering Institute of Canada.
- Prerequisites & Certificates
A certificate of completed Continuing Education Units (CEUs) will be granted at the end of this course. Each participant will receive a complete set of course notes and handouts that will serve as informative references.
- Cancellation Policy
If you wish to withdraw from a course, you must advise us, in writing, including the official receipt. Our policies regarding refund are:
More than fifteen business days in advance: a full refund minus $50.00 administration charge.
Fifteen or less business days in advance: a transfer to another course or a credit, valid for one year, to another GIC course can be considered. Credits are transferable within your organization.
If the course has been running for more than 2 weeks, or after the course has started, an 80% credit towards another GIC course may be considered, if notice is received before the start date of the second session. After this time, no refunds or credits will be issued. If a speaker is not available due to unforeseen circumstances, another speaker of equal ability will be substituted.
GIC reserves the right to cancel or change the date or location of its events. GIC's responsibility will, under no circumstances, exceed the amount of the fee collected. GIC is not responsible for the purchase of non-refundable travel arrangements or accommodations or the cancellation/change fees associated with cancelling them. Please call to confirm that the course is running before confirming travel arrangements and accommodations.
Refund Policy: Allow up to 30 days for refunds to be processed.
- Map & Reviews
Global Innovative Campus
[ View Provider's Profile ]
This course has not yet been rated by one of our members.
If you have taken a course through this vendor please log into your account and leave feedback for this vendor. You will be helping ensure our members get directed to the best training facilities.
This course currently does not have any dates scheduled. Please call 1-877-313-8881 to enquire about future dates or scheduling a private, in house course for your team.
This page has been viewed 289 times.