The course is comprised of lectures, case studies & workshops to maximize learning outcomes. Additionally, question & answer periods will be provided throughout the course, participants will receive expert answers to their specific questions.
- Course Outline
After participating in this course, you will be able to:
• Asses the role and responsibility of the owner in developing and implementing a fire safety plan.Description
• Discover the fire safety plan requirements as far as use, occupancy, resources and life safety systems.
• Interpret how to conduct an audit of the building and human resources so that all objectives of a fire safety plan are addressed.
• Select the appropriate alternative measures in the event of inoperative life safety systems.
• Analyze the fire safety plan to ensure it meets the requirements of the Ontario Fire Code.
• Follow the process for having a fire safety plan
Fire safety plans are an essential tool when trying to meet the requirements under the Ontario Fire Code. A fire safety plan helps to ensure effective utilization of fire safety systems, equipment and procedures in a building to protect people from fie. The plan must be customized to mirror the resources of each individual building or complex of buildings.
Fire safety plans are required to be approved by the local fire department and this course will provide the steps and knowledge required to meet this requirement. Participants will also learn how to implement the fire safety plan once it has been approved by the fire department.
The course will comprise of lectures, case studies and workshops to maximize learning outcomes. Additionally, questions and answers periods will be provided throughout the course so participants will have the opportunity to receive expert answers to specific questions.Objective
Participants will develop the skills required to prepare their own fire safety plan and comply with the Ontario Fire Code requirements.Who Should Attend
This course has been designed for Building Owners, Property Managers, Consultants, Security Personnel, City Officials, Engineers, Building Operators and other persons having control of properties.
You Will Receive a copy of the Ontario Fire Code
Welcome, Introduction, Seminar Preview, Learning Outcomes and the Assessment Method
Fire Safety Plans
• What is a fire safety plan
• What is in a fire safety plan
• Who can produce a fire safety plan
Nursing Home Fire Case Study
• What went wrong
• Role of the owner, occupant, consultant, property manager and fire department
Fire Safety Plan Objectives
• Fire prevention
• Fire protection
• Emergency preparedness
• Emergency response
• Implementing the fire safety plan
Ontario Fire Code Definitions
• Chief fire official
• Supervisory staff
Ontario Fire Code, Division B, Section 2.8
• Instructions in emergency procedures
• Measures in a fire safety plan
• Supervisory staff
• High buildings
• Posting fire emergency procedures
• Chief fire official
• Fire Protection and Prevention Act
• Law of Negligence
Two Forest Laneway Case Study
• Go or stay policy
• Evacuation signs
• Warning signs
• Ontario Fire Code
• NFPA 101
• NFPA 101A
• Staffing level group exercise
Fire Safety Plan Development and Implementation
• Reviewed annually
• What wording is required
• Posting of procedures
• Participants will be provided with examples to use
Ontario Fire Code Maintenance Schedule
• What to include in the plan
• Definitions for check, inspect and test
• What records to keep
• Retention period for records
• Participants will be provided with a comprehensive list of maintenance items required under the fire code
Webber Inquiry on Fire Safety Case Study
• Voice communication systems
• Examples of voice commands to be used
• What is required
• Symbols to be used
• Site plan requirements
• The instructor will involve the participants on what must be included when completing a building audit
• Participants will be provided with a check list that can be used when completing a fire safety plan review/audit
• Smoke alarm requirements
• Stay or go
• Appointment of supervisory staff
• Stairwell and floor identification
• Local fire department
• Institutional occupancies
• Industrial occupancies
• Residential care facilities
Questions and Answers and Feedback to Participants on Achievement of Learning Outcomes
Concluding Remarks and Final Adjournment
There will be a one hour lunch break each day in addition to a refreshment and networking break during each morning and afternoon session. Lunch and refreshments will be provided.
8:00 Registration and coffee (1st day only)
8:30 Session begins
Gary Laframboise has 20 years of experience in the fire protection industry and presently is the Chief Fire Prevention Officer with the Oakville Fire Department. Some of his responsibilities include plans review for new construction and conducting inspection of new and existing buildings. He is a graduate from Seneca College in Fire Protection Engineering Technology. He is a member of the Canadian Fire Safety Association, Canadian Fire Alarm Association, Ontario Building Officials Association and the Ontario Municipal Fire Prevention Officers Association. He is a certified fire and life safety educator and is a trainer facilitator. He is also an Associate Instructor with the Ontario Fire College.
- Prerequisites & Certificates
1.2 CEU / 12 PDH
- Cancellation Policy
To withdraw from a course, you must send a request, in writing, with the official receipt to our office. Fifteen or more business days in advance: full refund less $50.00 administration charge. Five to fifteen business days in advance: non-refundable credit of equal value for any future EPIC seminar within one year. Credits are transferable within your organization. In case of an unexpected event occurring after this time, you may send someone else to take your place without any additional cost.
- Map & Reviews
EPIC Educational Program Innovations Center
[ View Provider's Profile ]
ReviewsHere are some reviews of the training vendor.
This course has not yet been rated by one of our members.
If you have taken a course through this vendor please log into your account and leave feedback for this vendor. You will be helping ensure our members get directed to the best training facilities.
This course currently does not have any dates scheduled. Please call 1-877-313-8881 to enquire about future dates or scheduling a private, in house course for your team.
This page has been viewed 740 times.