A good understanding of Cooling Water Treatment Technology is essential to troubleshoot operational problems & optimize plant operation, as well as to evaluate competitive bids of chemical treatment programs & plant equipment This course is practically..
- Course Outline
After Participating In This Seminar You Will Be Able To:Description
• Save costs by understanding the importance of cooling water chemical treatment, early detection of problems and selecting most cost-effective chemical treatment program
• Learn how to evaluate the impact of different types of makeup water on the performance of your cooling water system and associated production plant
• Understand with confidence how to monitor and control the corrosion, scaling, and fouling of cooling water systems to protect cooling system and other associated plant assets from premature failure
• Examine techniques for selecting the most cost-effective and environmentally acceptable microbiological control biocides
• Review water conservation/reuse strategies and environmental impact
• Gain insight into techniques to evaluate current performance and improve efficiency of your cooling water system
Industry at large faces the escalating challenge of managing and optimizing the consumption of what has been called The Liquid Oil of the 21st Century: Water. Hardly any industry, large or small, can avoid the use of a cooling water system. Cooling water systems use extensive amounts of water and industry faces increased scrutiny to minimize water consumption and chemical use, reduce water and chemical treatment costs, and implement water reuse. Industrial cooling water systems are also increasingly utilizing reuse practices such as cooling tower purge reuse.
To this effect, a good understanding of Cooling Water Treatment Technology is essential to troubleshoot operational problems and optimize plant operation, as well as to evaluate competitive bids of chemical treatment programs and plant equipment This course is practically oriented, with a half-day workshop where participants will be able to apply their newly acquired knowledge.
Cooling Water Treatment is generally regarded as a specialized area of expertise and is seldom if ever covered by formal University/College education. This course will help you understand the often jargon of water treatment specialists, and make better informed decisions. It will assist you with plant operation optimization, chemical management and improving your knowledge of the implications of poor cooling water treatment to the reliability of your plant’s assets – downtime and expensive capital equipment replacement.Objective
To provide practical knowledge for increasing the performance and cost-effectiveness of cooling water systems through the proper selection, implementation and operation of cooling water chemical treatment technologies encompassing corrosion, scaling, microbiological fouling, and key monitoring methodologies.Who Should Attend
Facility/utility engineers, consulting engineers, plant managers, environmental engineers, chemical technologists and technicians, plant operating personnel, those responsible for cooling water system chemical treatment and capital equipment bid processes, or anyone involved in the water treatment industry requiring more knowledge of Cooling Water Chemical Treatment Technology.
Oil Refining, Gas Processing, Petrochemical, Chemical Process, Power, Iron & Steel, Municipal, Pulp & Paper food Processing Microelectronics, Dairy, Metal Refining, Breweries, Pharmaceutical Hospitals, Primary Metals, Automotive, Universities, Commercial Property Maintenance.
Participants are requested to bring a calculator.
Faculty: Luis Carvalho, P. Eng., GE Water & Process TechnologiesProgram Outline
Welcome, Introduction, Workshop Preview, Learning Outcomes and the Assessment Method
Basic Water Chemistry (Including critical concepts such as alkalinity and buffering, acidity and pH, hardness, etc)
Variability of raw waters and suitability for make up to cooling water systems (including external treatment methods for upgrading to cooling water make up)
Types Of Cooling Water Systems (key aspects and impact on treatment selection and cost)
• Open recirculating systems
• Once-through systems
• Closed systems
• Basic aspects of cooling tower operation
Basic Calculations For Cooling Water Systems
• Material balances
• Chemical usage calculations
• Cooling system volume testing and calculations
• Residence time and half-life
• Corrosion rate measurement and scaling indices
Problems Affecting Cooling Water Systems
• Fouling (microbiological, other)
Chemical Treatment Technology
• Neutral pH programs
• Alkaline programs
• Phosphate and non-phosphate programs
• Closed system treatment options
• How to select best program (technical and cost performance)
• Chlorine and other oxidizing biocides (ozone, bleach, bromine, BCDMH, etc.)
• Non-oxidizing biocides
• Planktonic versus sessile (fouling) bacteria
• The use of ATP (versus plate counts)
• Control guidelines
Monitoring And Troubleshooting
• Key performance indicators (KPIs)
• Monitoring tools & techniques
• Troubleshooting techniques
Additional Selected Topics
• Legionella – aspects, guidelines
• Power plant condenser monitoring (interaction with cooling water system)
• Basic heat-exchanger monitoring techniques
• What questions to ask your cooling water treatment supplier
• Practical exercises covering course material; case studies.
Questions and Answers and Feedback to Participants on Achievement of Learning Outcomes
There will be a forty minute lunch break in addition to a refreshment and networking break during morning and afternoon session.
8:00 Registration and Coffee
8:30 Session begins
- Prerequisites & Certificates
1.2 CEU / 12 PDH
- Cancellation Policy
To withdraw from a course, you must send a request, in writing, with the official receipt to our office. Fifteen or more business days in advance: full refund less $50.00 administration charge. Five to fifteen business days in advance: non-refundable credit of equal value for any future EPIC seminar within one year. Credits are transferable within your organization. In case of an unexpected event occurring after this time, you may send someone else to take your place without any additional cost.
- Map & Reviews
EPIC Educational Program Innovations Center
[ View Provider's Profile ]
ReviewsHere are some reviews of the training vendor.
This course has not yet been rated by one of our members.
If you have taken a course through this vendor please log into your account and leave feedback for this vendor. You will be helping ensure our members get directed to the best training facilities.
This course currently does not have any dates scheduled. Please call 1-877-313-8881 to enquire about future dates or scheduling a private, in house course for your team.
This page has been viewed 588 times.