- Chemical Engineering
- Applying the Systems Engineering Methodology to Successfully Design, Develop and Sustain Complex Systems
Applying the Systems Engineering Methodology to Successfully Design, Develop and Sustain Complex Systems
This course addresses the methodology & structural approach to engineering projects for large&complex systems.It presents system engineering as an engineering discipline & emphasizes the role of system engineering process in managing engineering projects
- Course Outline
After participating in this course, you will be able to:
• Know the basics skills required to exercise system engineering as a profession
• Use practical new solutions in managing project scope
• Conduct system design reviews
• Identify risks and define mitigation methods
• Gain an awareness of the safety engineering rules and regulations governing critical and complex engineering systems and their equipment
• Integrate human engineering and reliability analysis in project management
• Understand the processes used when acquiring and supplying systems
Description This course addresses the methodology and structural approach to engineering projects for large and complex systems. It presents system engineering as an engineering discipline and emphasizes the role of system engineering process in managing engineering projects.
Objectives To present:
• advanced systems engineering methodology of project development
• requirements traceability methods
• system documentation hierarchy
• the role of design reviews
• human engineering guidelines
• safety engineering: hazard analysis and safety report
• software as part of system engineering
• risk management: explore project areas that involve potential technical, cost and schedule risks
• the role of reliability, maintainability and logistic support
Who Should Attend Project managers, systems engineers, electrical, software engineers and other technical personnel who are involved in large system applications for the defense, nuclear, power and transportation industries. Professionals who need to upgrade their current experience and knowledge of system engineering, program managers who require practical knowledge of certain aspects of system engineering or who need to refresh their knowledge. Within a short period of three days, the attendees will benefit from the practical engineering experience of the instructors.
Instructors: Corina Rosenberg, P.Eng., M. Amjad, M.Eng., P.Eng. and Ali Zuashkiani, Ph.D.
Welcome, Introduction, Workshop Preview, Learning Outcomes and the Assessment Method
System Engineering, an Interdisciplinary Approach
Corina Rosenberg, P.Eng.
• System life cycle: from requirements through design and testing to deployment, commissioning and disposal
• Basic concept of systems and systems engineering
• Representation of systems created by humans
• Controlling System Requirements
• Management of contractual requirements
• Traceability of requirements
• Requirements allocation, an example
• Verification compliance matrices
• Validation process
• Compliance matrix, an example
• Tools for tracking system requirements
• Requirements: brief quiz
• System architectural design
• System interface definition
• System design specifications
• System specifications, an example
• Technical performance measurements
• Proof of concept
• Prototype building
• System specifications: brief quiz
System Engineering Process
Corina Rosenberg, P.Eng.
• System engineering management plan
• Functional analysis
• Qualification process: test to verify, validate to show compliance
• Engineering specialties
• Modeling and simulation tools
• Configuration control
• System technical reviews
• Technical reviews: SDR, PDR, CDR, TRR, FCA, PCA
• Planning technical reviews
• Conducting technical reviews
• Technical review, an example
Build a design review agenda: brief quiz
M. Amjad, M.Eng., P.Eng.
• Risk management approaches
• Extending PM/RM approach to prequalification/tender/RFP
• Define risk management and sources of risks
• Risk management process:
- Assessment (identification and analysis),
- Handling, and
• Risk management process lessons learned: A case study
Focus will be on renewable energy projects, wind park, thermal power station Water and waste water projects
Corina Rosenberg, P.Eng.
• System safety management plan
• Hazard identification and analysis
• Hazard log, an example
• Mitigation of hazards through the design process
• Safety case report
Reliability, Maintainability and Supportability
Ali Zuashkiani, Ph.D.
Introduction on physical asset management and John Campbell Pyramid of Excellence
• Optimizing Maintenance Decisions:
- How to find optimum preventive replacement interval
- How to find optimum inspection intervals
- How to optimize condition based maintenance decisions
• Life cycle costing and optimizing assets’ retirement age
• Reliability centered maintenance
The course includes brief quizzes, tests and dialogue, encouraging discussions and debates.
Questions and Answers and Feedback to Participants on Achievement of Learning Outcomes
There will be a one-hour lunch break each day in addition to a refreshment and networking break during each morning and afternoon session.
8:00 Registration and coffee (1st day only)
8:30 Session begins
- Prerequisites & Certificates
1.8 CEU / 18 PDH
- Cancellation Policy
To withdraw from a course, you must send a request, in writing, with the official receipt to our office. Fifteen or more business days in advance: full refund less $50.00 administration charge. Five to fifteen business days in advance: non-refundable credit of equal value for any future EPIC seminar within one year. Credits are transferable within your organization. In case of an unexpected event occurring after this time, you may send someone else to take your place without any additional cost.
- Map & Reviews
EPIC Educational Program Innovations Center
[ View Provider's Profile ]
ReviewsHere are some reviews of the training vendor.
This course has not yet been rated by one of our members.
If you have taken a course through this vendor please log into your account and leave feedback for this vendor. You will be helping ensure our members get directed to the best training facilities.
This course currently does not have any dates scheduled. Please call 1-877-313-8881 to enquire about future dates or scheduling a private, in house course for your team.
This page has been viewed 257 times.